Chapter 6

Sorry for not uploading yesterday. I completely forgot lol.

It was dinner time. The whole family had squashed around a crooked, damaged, wooden table, except Jane who was handing everybody bowls and plates of food.

She handed everybody 'soup,' which consisted of water, a few lentils and some potatoes. We all drank and ate to our hearts. desire. It wasn't an awful lot of satisfy anybody's stomachs but to me, that was like a massive feast.

On the streets, even saving enough money for a loaf of bread took about a week or two, so I had to ration my food and only eat three large bites a day, or if the donations were particularly good that day, six large bites. I didn't waste a single crumb while I lived on the streets, because I couldn't.

Jane then afterwards handed me a large chunk of bread. The children looked up at me hungrily, their eyes locked intimately on the bread I was holding. I started ripping it into three pieces, just for the three kids, when Jane stopped me.

'The Doctor said to feed you as much as possible. Not anybody else.' She said sternly, giving me a faint smile, 'Go on, eat it up.'

The children sighed with disappointment as they turned back to their bowls of soups. I chewed slowly on the corner of the bread, feeling terribly guilty that I was causing this much money and effort to feed.

Jane looked at my expression and her eyes twinkled. She was exceptionally shrewd.

'Don't worry about the money or anything. Just eat and worry about filling your underfed stomach.'

I gave her a small nod, avoiding everybody else's gaze and I began to chew on the bread. It was good, soft bread, that went down nicely with my soup, but I hated the fact that everybody had to sacrifice their well being, just to make room for a homeless idiot like me.

***************

After dinner, I decided to help Jane with the dishes and chores as I so desperately wanted to be some kind of help to the family. And also, I really wanted to get to know her well, along with everybody else in the family.

Catherine of Aragon joined us both as well, moping the floors and cleaning the dishes.

Somehow both of them made doing tiresome chores really enjoyable.

'What do you think of everything?' Jane asked me as she carefully stacked away several flimsy plastic plates in one of the top drawers. I gave her a small shrug.

'I like it, it's different to what I've lived as but everybody here is so kind and so welcoming!'

Jane let out a small laugh.

'That's good to know, I have a feeling you'll be sticking around with us for a while Catherine!'

'I hope so.' I murmured, seizing the nearby mop with both of my hands. I started cleaning the floor, making sure everything was spick and span. It wasn't exactly perfect as I never had to do any work while living with Henry and during my brief spell on the streets...well.... I didn't have a home to clean at all.

Jane took the mop from my hands and grinned. 'You shouldn't be so aggressive while mopping. You literally look like a serial killer, trying to murder the floor.'

She then started demonstrating how to mop a floor, with quick, nimble and agile movements. She started almost gliding around the floor, making sure to clean every section of the ground. I just stood there, watching her with a smile on my face. Jane made mopping the floors look like an art, a dance, a perfection. Then I thought over what she had said, over and over and over until my brain buzzed and burnt. Jane's words reminded me too much of Henry. It was too close for comfort.

*******

'Your friends all believe your a serial killer now, Cathy.'

'Why would you do that? Why can't I just make friends and keep them around? Why can't I be normal?' I cried out, banging the walls with both of my fists.

'Because Cathy,' Henry smirked, crouching down beside me so he could whisper directly into my ear, 'Your not normal. You're with me.'

And then the tears would come. Great, fat, heart-wrenching tears would come tumbling down my cheeks and I would always wish I was miles away from Henry. Miles away from his house. Miles away from his town. Miles away from him.

**********

'Hey are you alright?' I could hear Jane's voice echoing in through one ear, bringing me back down to reality. 'You suddenly went very pale and lost in thought.'

'Yeah, I'm fine.' I murmured, looking down at the floor.

'Jane, she's clearly not fine,' Catherine of Aragon was saying, gently grabbing hold of one of my arms. 'Come on Catherine.'

'Cathy. Call me Cathy.' I whispered softly, letting Catherine steer me over to where the sleeping bags were.

'Come on Cathy, I'll lay you down.' Catherine whispered back, and she did just right. In seconds I was lying back against somebody's sleeping bag, trying to shut Henry out of his mind, but he wouldn't budge. It was almost as if his memories were purposely tormenting me, as if they were trying to make me feel bad about leaving him. And I did. I left him single and alone in an enormous house, all by himself.

But he left you on the streets, I thought angrily to myself, He should deserve all of this. He's a monster.

I didn't even know anymore. I didn't know what my emotions were like for Henry. One minute I was upset, and the next minute I felt bad about provoking him, and the next minute....

My eyelids finally began to close as I fell asleep, putting Henry straight out of mind. Where he belongs. He didn't deserve me, and I didn't need his love. I never did. He was just a waste of space.

I prayed I would never see him again. I prayed that he would be nothing but a sad and dull memory, that would one day be forgotten for good. But unluckiness was always a large trait of mine, and it wasn't long before our paths would cross again.

He was angry and he wanted revenge.

I just didn't think he would take it so far.....

My kneecaps are crying, they know their fate. Do you hear that heart breaking sound of their wails? They want a life, they need a life.

Save my kneecaps.