Chapter 2

The words came as a shock. I thought I had misheard him to start with, but the expression on his face confirmed everything. He was throwing me out.

I pulled out one of my suitcases and I started stuffing it with all sort of clothing and bedding, and I even sneakily packed some food. Just in case. And turns out, that food I stole came in very handy. I only wished I stole more.

My fingers were folding everything at top speed, while I waited for the shock of everything to sink in.

I should be relieved. But I'm not. I'm free from Henry's grasp, and I'm somehow out of a toxic relationship, but I had nowhere else to go. My parents lived on the other side of the UK from London and I had no friends as Henry never gave me the chance to make any. And if I did, Henry would manipulate them and put false suspicions in their heads, making them think twice before befriending somebody like me. He made them think I was a monster, a rapist, a drug dealer, a serial killer, and so much more. He made them think I was some sort of dangerous species that belonged in a zoo, and I hated Henry so much for that. He controlled my life, my friends my freedom. Everything.

He was too scared I would make friends, and perhaps fall in love with them and end up cheating on him, especially after how Katherine Howard fell in love with one of his close mates. And to be honest, I don't blame her. I would have done the same if I was given the chance.

It was so fast. In the next few seconds, I had a packed suitcase and I was heaving it down the stairs of Henry's home. Henry just watched me, with a satisfied smile planted across his face. I wheeled it over to the entrance and  I slowly unlocked the front door.

I was hit with a sudden burst of freezing air. It hit me in the face, making me shiver. It was only October, but it was beyond freezing. There was no mistaking that.

'Before you go, Cathy.' He whispered, giving me a pitiful stare. 'You won't survive a second without me, and when you come crawling back, don't expect me to be so lenient and forgiving.'

I shook my head, clenching my fists tightly.

'I won't be coming back Henry.' I hissed angrily back, 'And don't bother to stay in contact.'

'I won't,' He scoffed, 'And can I have my house keys back from you?'

I reluctantly fished them out of my pocket and I tossed it carelessly in Henry's direction. He caught it swiftly and gave me a sinister grin. He then dropped it purposely onto the floor, letting out a small eerie cackle.

'Oops, how careless of me,' He chuckled, 'Be a dear, Cathy, and pick it up for me.'

I glared at him. 'Don't call me dear and no. Don't be a jerk, Henry, just pick them up yourself.'

His scowled at me.

'Be gone, and don't come back!'

'Rot in hell!' I screamed back, and then the door slammed shut, with much more force than necessary. And then I turned around to face the cold uncaring world. I was all alone now, and that was partially my fault. Being smart with Henry would just equal in a massive mess that you won't be able to negotiate yourself out of. Or it ends up in death. Depends on what he feels like.

Henry wasn't what I was worried most about though. It was the fact that I was alone with no money, no water, a small amount of food and homeless.

I could have died right there, on the streets, but I fought onwards.

I was giving in to death or to fate that easily.

**********************

'Please can you donate some cash?'

'A bit of money for the poor.'

'Could you spare some change?'

'Please sir, I'm starving. I need just a few more pence to buy a meal.'

And so the days went on. Every day was a new challenge, a new fight for survival, a new fight for food.

My strength was slowly leaving me as the days, weeks and months passed. It was now nearing March, and I had survived five months living on the streets. My body was lacking vitamins, my body was lacking calcium, my body was lacking almost everything it needed to function at a healthy rate. Life was slipping away from my fingers, as my constant desire to have a nutritious meal in my stomach intensified.

I was tempted to go running back to Henry at times, to beg for my mercy, to beg for his forgiveness, just so I could have a roof above my head, and food in my stomach. But my pride stood in the way, and I proceeded to live the rough life on the streets.

I relied so much on the passers-by to donate me some money for a meal. I was living entirely on other people's donations, and I didn't like it one bit.

I never liked accepting other people's donations, because I hated knowing that I owed somebody a favour, or I just owed somebody something in general. And the fact that I was spending the money that other people had worked hard for, just to keep myself afloat, made me sick to the stomach. I was dreaming more and more of that mysterious girl to come by, and to rescue me out of my hole of misery, to spare me of the guilt of using other people's money, but she was just a figment of my imagination, and would never pass by or come by. Or so I thought.

I was probably going to die on the streets, all alone. And I brought it all on myself.

I was so damn lost.