Chapter 24

Chapter 24

It took Adeena almost two weeks to reach the border lands of Arloerin, through the Krahzaran desert to the grasslands within Searis territory to the rolling green hills in the west. As soon as her horse crested those hills, though, all of Arloerin and its glory were stretched out for her to see.

And she immediately started tearing up at the sight.

The only descriptions she'd ever gotten were from books or Malik. Neither did the western kingdom justice.

It was absolutely breathtaking and nothing like her dim memories of when it was a city of ruins. The hillside flowed down into grasslands in the north and rose into mountains to the south. Lake Iris glittered in the distance. Small fishing boats bobbed on its surface and people enjoyed the spring day on its sandy banks. The Cagny Forest spread out beyond and those dim memories turned into a flood of her and Cleo's adventures with Kalla while her grandparents stayed behind.

Continuing on in her visual exploration from a distance, acres upon acres of the land were productive vineyards and olive groves. Colorful homes and small villages were dotted throughout. Then the dirt roads made way to a main sandstone road leading to the city. Those streets were lined with homes and shops and taverns, just as colorful as the ones in the countryside. And though she couldn't quite see the people who lived there, she knew they were just as colorful and joyous as the city itself seemed to be. How could they not be when they'd gone from being a city of ruin to the most prosperous one in all of Laria?

And all thanks to her beautiful sister.

Quickly swiping away her tears, Adeena urged her horse to continue down the road, guiding it along until she reached a small village bordering the lake.

Before she was close enough for people to get a good look at her, she pulled a glamour over her features, changing them slightly and just enough for people to look close enough without them seeing their queen's features looking back. Though she kept her silvery blond hair the same, her eyes changed to golden brown with one blink, her lips thinned slightly, and the shape of her face rounded just a bit.

Here, she was going to continue under the alias of Lady Addie Merlo. As far as she knew, not too many tales reached Arloerin about the lady. Whispers, sure, especially since she was close with Malik and his guardsmen liked to talk about just how often he visited her. Plus, when there were rumors of their courtship spreading, though it was nonexistent, those whispers had to have ended up there, too.

When she reached the stone archway that led into the heart of the village, Adeena jumped down from her horse and guided it by the reins. Though she was in simple riding attire, a new face in a small village was sure to draw attention. It made her nervous, made her shy. Laria's most deadly assassin and her face was flaming under the gazes of vineyard workers.

Leading her horse to the stable beside the three-story terracotta inn, she immediately went to work taking off the saddle and bridle, allowing for him to be comfortable while munching on hay inside the stall. She tossed a small sack filled with gold coins to the young stable boy who couldn't be older than ten, watching as his eyes grew wide as he peered inside.

"Thank you!" he somehow managed to choke out. "Thank you so much. Is there anything I can do for you, lady?"

Hitching her bag on her shoulder, Adeena gave him a bright smile. "Just tell me who to ask for so I can rent a room at the inn."

"My momma, actually. Her name's Tarra. She'll be the one with the baby in a sling on her chest and my two little brothers following her around."

She laughed at the description as he ran back into the stable just as another sliding door opened from the opposite side, hearing the boy's excitement.