Chapter 68

Chapter 68

Corliss stood in her empty apartment, trying not to let the wave of sadness crash into her as she made sure they hadn't forgotten anything. This place had been her home for years and was so special to her after so long, especially those past few months since Meron made it feel like home even more. He was already heading off to the dragons to make sure they were saddled and ready to go, knowing Corliss would need some time to herself after being in Ayveri for so long.

Sighing, she place her keys on the counter before leaving, closing the apartment door behind her.

This will be a new adventure after a bittersweet ending, she tried to tell herself as she put one foot in front of the other. It's definitely time.

And it wasn't like she would never see Ayveri again. She would come visit on official trips and ones not so official, especially since she and Fin planned on meeting up in a few months.

But for right now...she was going to say goodbye one last time, even though they'd spent hours together with Meron the night before. She hadn't expected to see him standing on the other side of the street once she left the building.

Grinning as she ran across, gripping the strap of her bag slung across her chest, she all but collided with him, hugging him tight.

"Even though I know we said our goodbyes at the tavern last night, I thought I'd go for one more," he laughed in her ear.

"Good," she told him as she tightened her hold. "We're leaving for Eld as soon as I get to where Meron has the dragons just outside the eastern gate. We should be at his parents' before nightfall if the boys fly properly and don't do anything stupid."

"Is Meron included in that statement?"

"Of course!" she laughed, pulling back. She reached up to put her hand against his cheek. "I'm going to miss you, Fin. We'll meet up in a few months when you come to visit, right? Just send word and we'll meet here in Ayveri at the Raven."

"Absolutely."

"When does your ship leave for Escarral?"

"Tomorrow afternoon. It'll take a little over a week since we dock in a different port on the Inder coastline. It'll be good to be home, but I'll still miss Ayveri."

"Same here," she said.

Fin leaned back and looked down at her bag. "Please tell me you don't have everything you owned in your apartment in that tiny thing, magic or not."

Corliss snorted out a laugh. "Oh, no. Most of our things were shipped out. This just has my essentials for the journey."

Her toiletries, a few changes of clothes, a tent that was magically extended on the inside with separate sitting room, kitchenette, and sleeping quarters in case they wanted to stop for the night instead of flying straight through...

And, of course, the grimoire and the book about other worlds she'd gotten because of Fin, both of which she'd hardly translated more of because of the move. As soon as she and Meron were settled in Eld, she already had plans of continuing on, especially with mention of possible natural portals in the Wilds of Ethran and the mountains of Ceron in Escarral.

Just as soon as she knew more exact coordinates...well, she was going to persuade Meron into coming with her just to see if those stories were true. She wanted travel and adventure, to learn more about what their world had to offer. And if that included finding a portal to another world where she could explore even more, she was going to take it. She and Meron might have been going home to Eld, but she wanted an adventure with him before they finally settled down into their roles as future Lady of Eld and her Commander.

Plus, there was one more task ahead of them – announcing their mating bond to their parents. It wasn't her father she was worried about, but Corliss almost groaned just at the thought of what her mother would do. She'd made Bridget swear not to tell her and so far her sister kept her word. She was still hesitant, though. Not to mention about what Gaven would say...which would more than likely include threatening to take Meron out.

Fin was still looking down at her bag when he spoke next. "And do you still happen to have that text I borrowed from Dewridge, the one I used for class?"

"Maybe?" Corliss grinned. "I'll get it back to her once I'm finished with it...someday."

He snorted out a laugh as he glanced back up, but there was something in his dark eyes that had her hesitating.

"What's wrong?" she asked him. "If you need it back, I'll..."

"No, keep it," Fin told her as he held up a hand. His eyes darkened even under the blazing Ayveri sun. "I knew there was a reason I chose you, Corliss Lucerra."

She raised one brow. "Chose me?"

"To be my thesis partner," he elaborated with a wink. "I've enjoyed getting to know you and becoming your friend. Meron's, too. You've made my semester here more bearable and not just solely focused on school and work. I've learned a lot from you and I have a feeling that's not going to end anytime soon. I can't wait to see where this takes you."

"And hopefully our paths will cross again, wherever that may be."

Fin nodded, then reached for her hand. He lifted it to his lips, brushing a gentle kiss against the back of it. "I'll make sure of it, Corliss," he said as he let her go, then started walking backward away from her. "But for right now, you've got your mate and your dragons waiting for you...and the start of your next adventure."

***Well, guys...Bleeding Ink is FINISHED!  And how could I not end it with Corliss and Fin, huh?  We've got so much more to go with this series and I'm so excited for you all to come along on the next part of the journey!

However, I do have to take a little while to plan out the next book and quite possibly the third and final one, too.  I didn't plan out the whole series like I did with the Crowns, but I finally figured out my sequence of events...AND I'M SUPER EXCITED FOR IT ALL!  I'm going to take the next week or so to finish the outlines, then the description for the second book (which I'll post at the end of this one like I usually do, along with the cover), and will more than likely start writing the first chapter this weekend.  

And as for the title of the second book in the series, here it is...

Burning Key!

Who's ready?  

What did you guys think of this book, huh?  Comment and vote!

Happy reading!

- Ansley***