Chapter 55

Chapter 55

Dessa's arm was looped through Kalla's as they walked down the front steps of the villa the following afternoon. She hoped she didn't recognize the cloaking spell she'd put over herself to block the scent of a certain someone, one that had become intwined with hers with the line they'd crossed the night before at Madame Amoria's.

"You were unusually quiet this morning," Kalla commented as she turned toward her. "Everything all right?"

"I'm fine," she said in short.

Truth be told, she wasn't fine. Not when the sharp sting of rejection was still there.

Elys hadn't followed her back to the villa the night before.

She'd waited, nervous knots twisting her stomach for hours she sat on her bed, looking at the door. She heard when the others got back – Archer's drunken laughter before he stumbled into bed and immediately started snoring, Milena and Eamon as they whispered to each other before finally putting up a ward.

But as for Elys, he hadn't come. Not until almost three that morning. She knew his bootsteps, slow and unsure as they paused in front of her door. By then, she'd changed into her nightgown and snuggled under the covers. She was on the verge of sleep but feeling him so close had her bolting up in bed, eyes on back the door.

Dessa almost used her magic to throw open the door and yank him inside.

Until he sighed and took a step back, then another and another until he was in his room, locking the door behind him and letting out a string of curses.

She hadn't seen him yet. He hadn't come down for lunch since all of them slept in. Hadn't even left his room even though she knew he was up, mumbling to himself, pacing the length of his room. She had almost knocked before she went down to make sure he knew they were ready to leave.

She didn't.

"You sure you don't want to stay another night?" Kalla asked her then, squeezing her hand.

Dessa nodded with a slight smile. "We need to get to Palrion. We're heading to Mik's parents' inn for the night and then I'm going to try out my portal magic and see if I can manage to create one to Arloerin. It'll be a first for me, one between two worlds."

"I'm sure you'll do perfect," she told her. "Just like your mother told me, your magic's come easier to you than we thought it would."

"I still struggle with it, though."

"And everyone around you is more than willing to help. That's why you're going to Arloerin, isn't it? You and Cleo...gods, I can just imagine what you'll be able to do together. Not to mention what you'll be able to do with a certain male who couldn't seem to keep his eyes or his hands off you last night."

Dessa looked down at her boots as a blush raced across her cheeks.

"You two disappeared for a time...and then we all saw you leave. You seemed a little...flustered," Kalla grinned. "Something happen?"

Her silence was answer enough.

"Something did happen and yet it wasn't everything you wanted, right?"

The look Dessa gave her was yet another silent answer.

Kalla reached up and laid her hand against her cheek. "Trust me, Des. That kid's loved you even before you were born. Even though I'm more than sure Elys has seen all of this in his visions, it's a little different when it's actually happening, isn't it? Hell, you both got your stubbornness from Lyv and Jai, though you inherited it and he learned it. I thought those two were the worst when it came to a certain bond between them, but I think you two have them beat."