Chapter 39

Chapter 39

The people of Arloerin were running through the streets, shouting their hellos as Cleo and Ollyn flew over the tops of the buildings. She couldn't help but smile and wave back, her heart full of love as they made their way to the palace. This last trip was one of the longer ones she'd been on over those last two decades and it seemed her people missed her just as much as she missed them.

With all the noise, of course, everyone at the palace would have noticed. Ollyn circled the courtyard twice, allowing for everyone who came out to greet her to move back and allow him enough room to land. The ground shook when he did, and Cleo quickly unfastened her saddle harness before jumping down.

Almost immediately, she was pulled into the arms of her grandmother, who then kissed her forehead.

"Gods, it's good to see you again," Renna told her, taking her face in her hands. "You were gone longer than we thought you would."

Cleo laughed, covering her hands with her own. "A lot happened when I was in Dalcaine, to say the least. I'd rather tell you and the others inside, though."

Janan was the next to say hello, giving her a tight hug as Shamira rubbed her head against her hip. "You were missed."

"Looks like everything's still standing, though."

"Of course. We know how to keep the peace while you're not here."

"And here I thought Urell would have thrown nightly parties like the ones in Blackloch."

"I don't think they'd be able to rival those, especially when your aunt Kalla's the one throwing them," the orc said from behind her.

Cleo was grinning as she spun around, but his arms secured around her as he lifted her off her feet and spun her around. A normal greeting from one of her best friends whenever she was gone on extended trips.

"You look like this trip did you some good," Urell told her, looking her up and down. "But maybe that has something to do with not having to hide the fact that you have a mate, too?"

She fought the urge to roll her eyes and lost. "Are you not going to forgive me for keeping that a secret?"

He pondered her question for all of five seconds before shaking his head. "Of course, I will...but I'm going to pester you about it for every day for the rest of our lives."

Cleo threw her head back and laughed. "I wouldn't think it would be any other way."

They didn't spend too much time outside, though Cleo did notice one certain absence from the welcoming party, one who would have greeted his brother also if he was there.

"Where's Odanth?" she asked as Renna looped her arm through hers and led her inside.

Her grandmother sighed, smiling. "You know how he is when you go off with Ollyn. He doesn't hang around the city, though he wasn't too far away. I think he mostly stayed out flying around, but he was spotted in the village where the Copper Inn is. We haven't seen him in almost three weeks. That's actually what we wanted to talk to you about. There's been...a small development."

Cleo looked at the three of them. "How small of a development?"

"Hm," Janan hummed by way of answering.

The four of them plus Shamira somewhat quickly headed for the council room, though Cleo got caught up in saying hello to everyone they passed. But even in her happiness, worry still nagged at her at the mention of a 'development' and what it could possibly mean. Then there was the fact that Odanth wasn't there, hadn't been in weeks.