Chapter 51

Chapter 51

Worry gripped Adeena as she rode through the streets of Krahzara, still in her Lady in White attire, hood down, a leather satchel slung over her shoulders with what she quickly grabbed from home. She was to wait with Odanth and meet Malik and Kav at the western gates, but there was no sign of the three of them when it came into view.

She called for Odanth down the bloodrite bond, telling him he needed to hurry. Maybe he was far enough away that it was just a whisper he barely heard? Or had something else happened? Of course, she'd told him to stay out of the Krahzaran territory for fear of Sophea finding him, but wouldn't he be able to sense something was wrong?

Kav had stayed behind at the palace, not only to make sure his mother was taken care of, but also to send word ahead of them to Arloerin. And Malik...he'd gone to the commanding guardsman to give the orders to send a third of the Krahzaran forces to Arloerin. Had they disagreed with helping her sister's kingdom rather than seizing it like they'd always been drilled to achieve one day?

No, she couldn't think like that.

Shocked faces met her around every corner she turned, seeing the Lady in White and Lady Addie Merlo being the same person. Prayers of safety were murmured on almost every pair of lips, not for her but themselves. Adeena had to grind her teeth together to keep from her tongue lashing out in anger.

Of course, she wouldn't hurt them. She loved the people of Krahzara and wouldn't ever dream of it.

Easing her horse to a stop beneath her, Adeena twisted in the saddle to look back, scanning the streets for any sign of the two princes.

Finally, Kav came striding down the street toward her, body covered in armor and leather, his sword crossed over his back and peeking over his shoulder. He headed straight for her, his usual carefree demeanor completely gone and replaced with one of sheer determination that came across as fury. Or maybe he was furious, especially when his mate's life and her kingdom were on the line.

Adeena lifted herself from the saddle, boots thudding on the cobblestone. "Did you send word to Cleo?" she asked when he was within earshot.

Kav gave her a curt nod. "Just that we were on the way and to have the city locked down. Nothing too revealing just in case it was intercepted."

"And Malik?"

"Should be getting here soon. He's only got a small squadron of guardsmen heading out behind us, just in case they're needed here. But he's got the best of the best and males and females who love Arloerin just as much as I do...because they're my guardsmen. They'd follow me and Cleo to the ends of the world if we asked."

Somehow, Adeena managed a smile. "Thank you. Thank you for being there for her when I couldn't. I haven't said that to you yet. Just from what I know about you over this last day and from Malik, you're the perfect one for her."

Even with the compliment, Kav crossed his arms over his chest, hazel eyes narrowing. "I've only been there for her that way for the last four years. Before that, she just thought of me as an annoying kid. You should really be thanking Janan and Urell since they've been with her through everything. Urell, especially, since they've been together since they were children."

So, he was still mad at her, still furious that Adeena had kept her secret for so long, even though she wouldn't have been able to do anything about with Sophea holding her with dark magic.

When Adeena opened her mouth to speak, Kav held up a hand to stop her.

"We're not going to discuss this right now, not when all I want to do is get to my queen and make sure nothing happens to our kingdom...and give the sister she's mourned over for all these decades back to her."

There was no time to argue with him, not when the thundering of hooves on the cobblestone made their way toward them. The crowd of people in the streets easily parted for fear of being overrun by the Crown Prince of Krahzara and the two dozen guardsmen on horseback behind him.

"Where's Odanth?" he asked, not seeing the dragon.

"No idea. I've called for him but..."

A deep, piercing roar vibrated through the city from above. Cries of terror rang out as the massive dragon appeared, the span of his wings blocking out the blinding sun hanging in the bright blue sky. Adeena couldn't help the smile that turned up the corners of her mouth. Sure, it hadn't been long since she'd left him behind, but she still missed the loveable beast.

Odanth circled overhead three more times, spiraling down closer to the earth before he landed just outside the western gate, sanding flying up into the air around him. To be fair, the Krahzaran people weren't used to seeing a dragon in their midst, especially since Cleo had never brought them in those few times she'd come.

Odanth let out another thundering roar, annoyance sparkling in his silver eyes since she, Malik, and Kav were taking far too long to get going.

"Dramatic entrance, huh?" she managed to snort, handing her horse's reins to one of the guardsmen who was coming along.

He growled, ducking his head lower as she came forward, and forcefully poked his nose to her stomach.

"All right, we're going," she told him. "As for Malik and Kav...you think you can carry all three of us?"

Her dragon glared at her as if to say, You doubt I could?

"Then let's go. Fly, Odanth...and take us home."

***Guys...the next time we get to the Adeena and Cleo POV chapters, we'll be back in Arloerin. 

And we all know what that means!

Ugh, after working on this since last November, I'm so excited to finally get to the reunion chapters!  

But, you know, they've got to be dramatic now that we know Fin's already in Arloerin, right?  

What did you guys think?  Comment and vote!

Happy reading!

- Ansley***