Chapter 32

Chapter 32

"You're actually sharing with me now?" Dessa asked, raising a brow at the piece of toast slathered with raspberry jam. "Did you poison it?"

"Just take the damn toast," Elys snorted, and rolled his eyes.

She was sitting on the kitchen counter, legs crossed, and watching as he then made his own. Both of them were in their leather gear, though she had a sneaking suspicion they weren't going out flying that morning. It had been a while since she'd seen Elys all decked out, though the only weapon their both carried were their daggers. Obviously, this training season wasn't going to include much swordplay.

"Why are we leaving so early? No one's even up yet."

Elys leaned one hip against the counter beside her as he took a bite of toast. "More practice with your portals."

Dessa tried not to groan. After her first true portal of her own will and making, she'd trained solely on that aspect of her magic over the last three days. Most of the time, she left training sessions more pissed off than before, especially when Elys was part of that reason. Not that he was making her mad, per se. Just that he was so encouraging and patient, even when she was anything but for herself.

It wasn't difficult for her to make the portals or even having them lead to the destination she wanted them to, but rather making sure they closed properly afterward. The first portal she made that put them out over the water took her twenty minutes to finally close. That was after she and Elys finally pulled themselves up onto the dock again, both laughing and grinning at each other. When she finally managed, she jumped on Elys's back and he carried her all the way back to the palace.

Now, as they silently finished their breakfast, Dessa could only watch him. Stare, really, because it had been weeks since she really got a good look at him in his leathers, the way they perfectly cut into every line and muscle of his body. The shuddering breath she took then made him glance over.

"What?"

"Why are we in our leather gear if we're not going to be flying or training?"

He grinned and winked. "I know how much you like seeing me in mine."

Oh, two could play that game. "Just like I know how much you like seeing me in them, too."

Without missing a beat, he said, "Can't deny that, you beautiful female."

A blush crept up along Dessa's neck as she took another bite of toast. "Are we going to work more on closing them or...?"

"Not really, though you'll still have to," he said, cutting her off. He almost looked nervous. "Something...different."

"What?"

Elys went quiet as they both finished their breakfast, then turned to face her fully. "You said Lyv really didn't explain what we would be able to do with our magic together, right?"

She shook her head. "Nope. Not even when I've continued to ask her, too. She just tells me to talk to you, but we both know you haven't been any help."

"Because you've been asking me just as much."

"Exactly, but you don't tell me."

"Well, that's about to change."

Dessa straightened as her eyes narrowed. "You're not kidding me, are you? Because I'll punch you if you are."

"I'm not, so no need for throwing fists."