Chapter 56

***A major NSFW warning!***

Chapter 56

"It's all right," Elys murmured to her as they quickly walked back through Palrion. "You're all right. Just keep your head down and stay by my side."

Dessa had no problem doing that. She was tucked into his side, his arm secured around her shoulders, and kept her cheek pressed against his chest. Her eyes were still closed as she concentrated on keeping her magic from spilling over and out of her, though her shadowflames were still dancing around her wrists. They seemed to be protecting her from herself, helping to smother the quell of magic inside.

Gods, it was just like when it first appeared. This time, she didn't have her mother there to help her calm down and make it surrender to her.

Elys was saying something to her again, trying to soothe her, but all she could hear was the pounding of her heart in her ears...and a quiet whisper of a low chuckle echoing inside her head. The sound had her bolting from Elys's side, pushing past the crowd of people in the street, and into a darkened alleyway. She immediately doubled over, vomiting up what little she'd eaten earlier that afternoon until there was nothing left.

Clutching at her stomach, Dessa groaned and leaned one shoulder against the wall, pressing her heated cheek to the cool stone. She didn't realize Elys had been there through it all, not until he let go of her hair, smoothing his hand down her back before rubbing in circles. Her shadowflame wrapped around him, holding him closer.

"I can't get a hold of it," she whispered to him, tears springing up in her eyes. Eyes she knew were still the color of darkness before she even saw them reflected in his. "I can't do it, Elys."

"Yes, you can," he encouraged. "It's your magic, Des. You're the one in control."

"Not right now, I'm not."

Whenever she grabbed for it, it merely slipped through her fingers, that chuckle echoing through her head with every attempt.

She had to concentrate if she wanted to be in control again, focusing on her own strength and the strength Elys was giving her by just being at her side.

Breathing in deep, she tried again, finally grabbing hold of it just as she had the first time it appeared.

"That's it," Elys whispered in her ear, his hand gripping the fabric of her dress at the small of her back. "What does Len say again?"

Dessa let out a choked laugh, almost seeing her baby sister standing in front of her, fierce determination in her emerald eyes, and a bright smile lighting up her face. "Show it who's boss."

The dark magic was immediately joined with her light as she laughed and heard Elys doing the same. Finally, a warmth spread through her, chasing away the chill that held her in a vice. She held it tight, breathing deep as she coaxed it into submission, easing the flood of light and dark magic that threatened to erupt.

Elys knew exactly when she calmed down, leaning her back to the wall, his body a shield between her and the curious gazes behind them. He brushed her hair back from her face, one easing down the side of her neck and stayed as he fumbled for her bag and the skin of water he knew she kept inside. Good thing, too, since she desperately needed to rinse her mouth out.

After gargling the water and spitting it out, Dessa gulped down the cool liquid, still keeping her eyes closed. "Thank you," she whispered. "For helping me."