Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"You've got to be kidding me," Gaven stated, leveling a stare at Corliss as soon as she stepped foot into the foyer of the Eld stronghold.

"Hi, Gav," she told her brother, stretching up on her toes to kiss his cheek. "Aren't you going to ask how I've been doing since you left Ayveri?"

"No."

"Why not."

"Because I don't want to know. Especially when you've showed up with him."

Both Corliss and Gaven were staring at Meron then, who had come in behind her as he dropped both of their bags at the doorway. He heaved a sigh, then his mouth stretched into a grin when he noticed Gaven.

"Good to see you again, Gaven."

"Can't say the same for you, especially when you're with my sister."

"Gaven," Corliss groaned. "Would you stop? We're not together."

Gaven crossed his arms, turning that glare to her then. "Then why the hell did he come home with you, huh?"

Before she could speak, her mother Sienna and father Geir rounded the corner of the main hallway, both of their faces lighting up with smiles.

Her mother was the first to pull her in for a hug. "Corliss, sweetheart, we weren't expecting you for a few more days."

"Not that we're complaining," her father said, wrapping his arms around them both. "With you off in Ayveri, it's too quiet around here."

Hugging her parents tightly, she laughed and kissed both of their cheeks. "We surprisingly made good time. And that quietness might be shattered in the next minute or two once you realize who I've brought with me."

This wasn't exactly the way she wanted to tell her parents and brother about Odanth and Ollyn, but she didn't have any other way. But first, there was the matter of Meron and how they would perceive their coming to Eld together...and her mother completely misinterpreted, just like she thought.

"Commander Brandt!" Sienna beamed, rushing over to hug him. Very informal, even though she called him by his formal title. "What are you doing here? And why are you here with my daughter, hm? Anything you two want to tell us."

"It's good to see you again, too, Lady Sienna," Meron laughed, hugging her back. "Lis invited me along. These last few weeks with her coming from Ayveri have been quite fun."

"Oh, really?" Sienna sighed happily, almost like she was planning out their future wedding in her head. Just hearing him call her Lis sent her into a tizzy. "I can't wait to hear all about it."

He turned his attention to Corliss, who'd narrowed her eyes at him, and had the nerve to wink. "Well, there's some things I don't think would be best to tell you."

"As long as it results in future grandbabies."

Corliss practically choked at her mother's allusion.

Would he interpret her I'm going to kill you glare she was shooting at him then? Yes, he definitely did...and then he winked again.

Not only was Gaven well aware of the innuendo, so was her father Geir. Both males stood shoulder to shoulder, arms crossed, sizing up Meron as he let go of Sienna. Sienna, who finally noticed not only her mate and son's glares at the male, but her daughter's, too.

"What?" Sienna asked, aiming the question to Corliss. "What's going on?"

"Nothing's going on and I'm going to leave it at that. Meron's here with me for a reason, Mother, but that reason is not future grandbabies."