Chapter 43

Chapter 43

There was something about the first day of the start of a new semester that always had Corliss giddy. Maybe it was the new parchment and ink pens, the brand new texts she had to get for her classes at the campus bookshop, or just the feeling itself of being back on university grounds after almost three months in Eld.

She only needed two more classes until she was finished. Her first was a required course on recent events while her second was an elective of her choosing, one she was most excited for. It was a new lecture class on theoretical science on the prospect of multiple worlds other than their own. She was actually surprised she got in since it was filled within minutes of sign-ups, though everyone had to wait a week to know who got in once they were handed their schedules. With it being such a specialized course, there were only twenty spots available, one of which she managed to snag.

Of course, she was the first one in the lecture room the first morning of class. She'd been up since before sunrise, making sure she had everything she needed, before scribbling a note to Meron and placing it on the kitchen counter since he was still sleeping. He was already laughing at her the night before while they made dinner, especially since she was bouncing around and chattering on and on about the first few chapters of the text she already managed to read through.

"You're getting way too excited for a class, you know that, right?" he grinned as he leaned against the counter by the stove, carefully watching the chicken sautéing in the pan.

"Because the university board finally approved one everyone's been wanting to take," she told him. She opened the overhead cabinet to take out two plates since they were only waiting on the chicken to be finished at that point and her mouth was already watering at the savory aroma. "There were only twenty spots and pretty much everyone in the upper levels signed up. And I managed to snag a spot!"

He raised a brow. "You do know your name probably got you in, right?"

"Usually, I don't like that fact...but I really wanted to get in, so I'll take it!"

Now, Corliss was sitting in the front row, absentmindedly flipping through the first chapter and staring at the notes she already scribbled in the margins the week before. No one else had come in yet, though the sound of students out in the hallway increased as the time passed.

Finally, the door to the lecture room opened and a male walked in. For a human, he was surprisingly really handsome with wide, dark brown eyes, a slim nose, and chiseled jawline. His black hair was slicked back and perfectly in place. The bronze tone of his skin had Corliss wondering if he had come from somewhere in Ethran. He was dressed in a simple white tunic tucked into black pants and boots with a leather satchel slung over one shoulder. When he saw her, he paused for a moment, undoubtedly recognizing who she was, but then an easy smile lit up his features.

"Morning," he greeted as he stepped up beside her. He nodded down to the seat on her right. "Is this spot taken?"

Corliss couldn't help but smile back. "No, it's all yours if you want it."

She watched as he pulled his text, parchment, and ink pen from his satchel before sitting. Pausing a moment, he then turned to her and held out his hand. "I'm Fin."

Slipping her hand into his cool one, she shook it. "Corliss."

"Oh, I know who you are, future Lady of Eld," he smiled. "Everyone knows who you are, though they know you like to be treated as just another student here at university and another citizen of Ayveri."

"And you don't?"

"I do...but I'm not from here, so I might slip up a few times."

That had Corliss laughing and instantly liking the male. "So, where are you from then, Fin?"