Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Adeena walked through the West Yoares Market with a bundle of bright purple flowers in her arms, a gift from a pretty male she might have to send for later that night to help warm her bed. Her gossamer skirts were tangling around her legs as she spun around and around, trying to take a peek at everything the vendors were shoving in her direction to show her. Everything from glittering baubles to wear to yards of beautiful fabrics for dresses to tasty treats that she knew she would eat a dozen of.

All right, maybe she bought something from everyone, but it was all just so pretty. This was why everyone loved it when Lady Addie Merlo came to the market. They knew they would meet their sales quota for the day.

Even Selise was with her, buying just as much as she was. The nymph had always been drawn to shiny things and she spent half of her last job's payment on a diamond necklace that now hung around her neck, complimenting her light blue skin perfectly. And lastly, they brough along Warek, playing the part of Lady Addie's guardsmen...and baggage handler since they loaded him up with their purchases.

"Come on, Warek," Adeena grinned up at him, poking a finger to his cheek. "Smile a little. Then people won't feel the need to give you such a wide berth when passing by."

His smile then sent a few females stumbling to the other side of the packed street.

"Not that smile," Selise sighed, rolling her eyes. "Use the smile you give me when you're trying to be sweet."

"You mean the one I use every time you let me in your bed?" he grinned wickedly.

Selise gave him her best flirty one in return...the one that she usually gave to males and females just before they slowly expired by her hand. "Not if you don't want to end up there."

Adeena rolled her eyes at the two of them, holding her flowers up to her nose so she could breathe in the sweet aroma. While Selise and Warek continued their flirty fighting, following closely behind her, she made her way down the tightly packed space. She had just a few more items to buy from one of her favorite vendors, items she knew someone back home would appreciate since he was almost out.

As Adeena was browsing over the glass jars of paints, new brushes, and different sized canvases, an excited whisper rushed through the crowded market. She didn't even have to look up to see who had arrived, two guardsmen closely following behind him.

"You seem to cause quite the stir whenever you're out with us common folk," she teased, leaning down to pick out the paint colors she knew her grandfather needed. "Can't you ever just be normal?"

"As Crown Prince of Krahzara, I don't have that luxury, unfortunately. And you, Lady Addie, common folk? I definitely wouldn't call you that."

She straightened up after picking seven paint jars, three new brushes, and several canvases, handing over five gold coins to the vendor. He stared at the money with wide eyes, stumbling over his thanks. It was twice as much as he was selling them for.

"No wonder the people love you here," Malik smiled, hands buried in his pockets of his loose-fitting navy pants. The white vest and its threaded embroidery complimented it perfectly, showing off his darkened skin after spending the last few days training with his guardsmen in the desert to the east.

She raised a brow, challenging. "Why do you say that?"

"Because you not only purchase their goods, therefore starting a trend for all who follow your every move, you pay them twice if not three times their asking price."