Status Quo

Ryan POV

I spend the first twenty-four hours checking my phone non-stop. Eventually, though, I just give up.

I try to tell myself he's just busy, that it isn't personal. I know better though, it was fun while it lasted, but it was bound to come to an end. Chad and I are in totally different stratospheres in this school. I should stick to the stuff I know.

Then I see the call back sheet.

Callback for roles Arnold and Minnie next Thursday, 3:30pm,

Ryan and Sharpay Evans,

Gabriella Montez and Troy Bolton

I read it outloud but it still doesn't make any sense.

"Is this some kind of joke? They didn't even audition!" Sharpay is screaming but I can barely register her.

"Maybe we're being punked?" It's the only thing that makes sense in this moment, "Maybe we're being filmed right now, maybe we'll get to meet Ashton!" It seems more possible than Troy Bolton auditioning and getting a callback.

"Oh, shut up, Ryan!" She shakes my hand off her arm.

"What's wrong?" Chad pops in between us, chest pressed against my back. "What?"

I freeze, lock my eyes forward and shallow my breath. I'm not afraid of Chad but in this moment, surrounded by other jocks, all it would take is one wrong move.

He turns and glares at me, I look back so quickly I don't really see him but I can feel the anger in his eyes, then he runs off.

Then Sharpay storms away.

And I stay totally still in front of the list, not daring to even breathe until everyone else has dispersed. Until it feels safe to move again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpay huff as she paces the balcony where our lunch table sits.

"How dare she sign up! I already picked out the colors for my dressing room," she is seething.

"Plus, she hasn't even asked our permission to join the drama club," I've spent my whole highschool trying to build and recruit for this club and for what? For people that make fun of us constantly to suddenly decide they care.

Below us chaos seems to have erupted, people are just blurting out their secrets.

Kelsi looks at me from across the table and I can actually laugh for a moment, we know better than to go around telling deep dark secrets in here. I do not understand.

Then Sharpay runs straight into the chaos, in a blink I've followed her down the stairs and that freaky genius girl has dumped chili cheese fries on to her chest.

I'm not sure she did it on purpose, but Sharpay is.

She whines to Darbus but I am gone, mentally, I am done for the day.