First Day Back

Ryan pov

The semester starts how almost every other semester has started, people standing in front of the school waiting to meet their groups. Cheerleaders on one end, jocks clogging the front door. I cannot say that I have been missing East High.

Sharpay pushes her way through the crowd with me tailing closely behind. I would honestly just like to get to homeroom. After a quick stop at Sharpay's pink locker, we make it to class and the presence of Ms. Darbus already makes me feel a little better about being back.

I don't really look around or pay attention to others' conversations, I don't have any friends here anyway. Well, any public friends. I can't stop myself from shooting a glance at Chad and he has the basketball I gave him instead of his old one. I look back down at my desk, that's all I wanted to know.

The people around me talk about their vacations or gifts or...

"...all I remember is, like, pink jelly."

...or whatever that conversation could be.

"I trust you all had a splendid holiday," Ms. Darbus starts and I pop my head back up to look like I'm paying real attention. Normally I would be paying full attention, but I haven't paid full attention to much in the last few days.

Then a phone rings.

I know that's not my ringtone but it gives me an excuse to check my messages anyway. Nothing, not surprising.

Ms. Darbus starts dropping cellphones into her bucket. I roll my eyes a little as she tells me and Sharpay we each have fifteen minutes of detention. She just does it to prove a point, it's not enough time for anyone else to actually help with sets, and Sharpay and I stay after school every day. We won't be changing that three years in.

"We have zero tolerance for cell phones in class, so we will get to know each other in detention. Cell phone, and welcome to East High, Miss Montez." I whip my head behind me. How had I not noticed a new kid walk past me? I tap Sharpay's shoulder to make sure she sees too and receive a nod. We'll do our research later.

"Mr, Bolton, I see your phone is involved, so we will see you in detention as well." Troy drops his phone in the bucket and Chad starts to pipe up.

"That's not a possibility, Miss Darbus, Your Honor, see, 'cause we have basketball practice and Troy..." Bad move.

"Ah, that will be 15 minutes for you too, Mr, Danforth, Count 'em." At least "detention" will be entertaining.