Defense

Ryan pov

Sharpay grabs my hand as we head down the hall and pulls me towards the chemistry class. "Something isn't right."

We peer in and I can see Chad and two other players taking to the scholastic team. My mind races, back to the party, back to the texts, to the radio silence after detention. I'm so stupid.

"They must be trying to figure out a way to make sure Troy and Gabriella beat us out, The jocks rule most of the school, but if they get Troy into a musical, then they've conquered the entire student body." It's the perfect plan, distract us so I don't have time to recruit well enough, they'd be guaranteed some sort of chance.

"And if those science girls get Gabriella hooked up with Troy Bolton, the scholastic club goes from drool to cool," then everyone is in love with Troy, selling more tickets, winning them more funding and slashing what little drama already has. Destroy us from the inside. "Ryan, we need to save our show from people who don't know the difference between a Tony Award and Tony Hawk." She huffs off and I stay at her heels, where I should have stayed the whole time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day lunch is interrupted by a sudden pep rally. As if more things need to go wrong in this cafeteria, maybe I'll just spend lunch in the auditorium from now on, save myself the trouble. On my way out I see Kelsi clearly looking for something.

"Hey," she stops me, "you probably haven't but just in case have you seen Gabriella? We were supposed to rehearse over lunch and she never showed. She hasn't been late before and I know she's here today." She's still peeking around, not really looking at me.

"No," I barely get it out, I knew they were practicing, everyone deserves a right to practice, but with the show's composer?

"Oh, well thanks anyway. I'll see you tonight at sets," she walks away still searching.

I know that I'm not the most important person in the drama department, but I have given all of my time to help out and for what? To have the only place I feel happy be crushed. I don't care if I come off cocky, or full of myself, I can't let this happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two days pass by fairly peacefully. Keep my head down and to myself. I keep my phone completely off during rehearsals and stay extra late to get in choreography now that the sets are finished.

I am at my locker trading my backpack for my dance bag when Chad walks up.

"Hey, I was hoping you'd have a second to talk?" I don't even turn to look at him.

"I don't actually," I slam my locker and try to walk away.

"Whoa, wait," He grabs my arm and I jump, not the response I was hoping for, makes me look weaker than I already am.

"Don't touch me," I finally look up at him, "and don't talk to me."

"Dude why are you being such a drama queen, I just..." that's all it takes. I can't just swallow my distaste anymore.

"Yeah drama queen, good one, how original. God, I can't believe you are exactly like the rest of them. You guys really never grow up huh?" I am spitting my words at him, but I am tired of this cycle.

"The rest of them? Care to say more about that? I'd love to hear what you really think of all my friends." I did already, at your house you asshole. I bet he forgot already. It was just another step in his plan.