The Call

Chad POV

Wildcats don't stop working just because the school year ended.

"Nice workout, fellas." Coach Bolton says opening the door, "I'm starving."

"Me, too." We all agree in various ways. Not all of the team is at Troy's house but it's the big four; Troy (obviously), me (also obviously), Zeke, and Jason.

"I'll tell you what. I'm seeing moves I didn't see last season. Keep it coming, guys!" Seeing Coach excited is one of the best parts. He was in our shoes once, he knows for sure when he says you're gonna make it or you're not.

"Yeah. What team?" I take my cue.

"Wildcats!" They all take theirs. Now it's the mad dash to the refrigerator. Nearly mowing down Coach on the way.

"All right!" He laughs trying to fight us off.

"Yo, time for milk." I reach in and toss the gallon to where he's sitting on the counter. I would absolutely puke my guts up if I drank milk right after a workout. But here's Bolton, chugging it from the gallon.

The rest of us grab bottles of water like normal humans, some apples and I pull out a bag of baby carrots. Do they grow baby? Or do they give ugly adult carrots plastic surgery to become baby carrots? Whichever it is, they are tasty and convenient.

"So, guys, how's the job hunt coming?" Coach asks, deflating all of us a little bit. Troy even winces.

"The big zero" Kudos to Zeke for being the one to give a real answer. Places would just rather hire the college kids who are here year round for UofA, not a bunch of sixteen year old first timers.

Troy's phone starts ringing.

"Girlfriend alert." That's the only person who calls him.

"Talk to me." Oh come on, Troy, who answers the phone like that? He's oddly quiet for a second.

"Hey, Troy," Zeke starts in, "does Gabriella still remember your name, or did she find somebody new to karaoke with this summer?" We all try to keep relatively quiet by just pointing at him.

Troy starts blabbering into the phone about a perfect straight A girl, "Man, he's really working someone."

"It can't be Gabriella.Whenever she calls, he just blushes." Coach starts in and I have to force myself not to respond "Yeah, I never said that."

Troy finally hangs up the phone and lets out a whoop.

"What's up, dog?" He really is just leaving us in the dark

"Nothing. Nothing." He pauses and looks around to make sure we are all looking at him "Nothing!" Oh I'll get it out of him.

We all help Mrs. Bolton carry in groceries and then Zeke and Jason head out.

"Chad, are you staying for dinner tonight?" Mrs. Bolton asks.

"No ma'am I actually have a date." She smiles and nods.

"Well tell Taylor I say hello." I nod back and follow Troy up to his room.

"So what was that call?" I plop down onto his bed.

"Oh! Yeah! Okay, so like, I'm still trying to figure it all out but apparently that country club... uhh lava springs ya know, they have a student work program? They offered me a position.I think you should call them about it." I just stare at him and then toss a pillow straight at his head.

"You gushed about Gabbi when you could have mentioned me for a job? Dude, not cool." He starts to turn and the pillow smacks straight off his face and he just pounces, wrestling me off his bed and onto the floor.

"Aren't you like a grown man? Can't you make a phone call?" His smile betrays any hint of seriousness in his voice.

"Aren't you like my best friend? Can't you save me the trouble?" I manage to push him off of me and we are both laughing.

"Seriously, think about it though. They only cater to the rich, I bet the pay is good." He grabs a notepad of his night stand and scribbles down the number.

"Thanks dude I will." I grab the paper from him as my phone buzzes. I pull it out to a text from Ryan.

r u free tonite? wana hang?

"Is that Taylor?" Troy tries to lean over to see the screen.

"Yeah," I stand up and tuck the phone number into my pocket, "I should probably go get ready, I'll catch up with you tomorrow." I reach down and help him off the floor.

"Sure thing dude, have fun." He winks and I laugh.

Once I'm out the door and on the walk home I realize I never responded to the text.

yeah im free. c u soon?