Leads

Ryan POV

It's not like I expected Chad to come see my callback, I just didn't expect him (or a full auditorium) to show up for Troy's either. It's not surprising really to see how natural Troy is on stage, he and Gabriella worked hard. I don't have to like it though. They worked hard for a couple weeks and somehow we are packed for a callback? I break my back for sixteen years in acting classes, dancing classes, singing classes, petitioning for funding, handing out posters, selling my soul for drama just to have everyone complain that they get to see the play for free during school hours.

Breathe, it's not like I'm competing against Bolton for a spot at Julliard. If it's him that finally shows off the hard work the rest of us are putting in then so be it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm...relieved? Darbus announced that Troy and Gabriela will be Arnold and Minnie, with the rest of the cast list to come and I should be mad. I should be jealous or something, but I am a little excited. I look over to see if Shar's okay and she is laughing.

"Sharpay?" I ask carefully.

"Have we ever not been the leads? Not since junior theatre right?" She is watching all the people filter back out of the auditorium to their prospective events.

"Yeah, I don't think so." She finally turns to look at me.

"Role diversity" Then she walks off back to the dressing room and I trail behind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wildcats won the championship and the decathlon. The way things are just going so in their favor it's like Troy and Gabriella are the leads of our real lives.

The gym is a complete zoo, confetti, chanting, cheerleaders, seemingly the whole student body. The only way this could wrap up more perfectly is if we all sang a song about how we really are all in this together, like we weren't ripping each other apart a week ago.

I'm not close enough to really hear them over the noise but I can see Chad pulling Taylor in dramatically. This whole scheming thing must have really gotten them close because I truly don't think they even knew each other's names before break.

"Like a date?" Taylor half shouts. Maybe they got even closer than I was thinking. Honestly I thought better of Taylor.

"Must be your lucky day." Chad delivers this line like it's very important that the people around him hear it, like the whole thing was rehearsed.

I'm going to take that as my cue to leave.