Summer Summer Summer

Ryan POV

I can't even pretend to focus on whatever monologue Darbus is giving, not after this semester, not seconds from summer break. You can hear the whole class thinking it.

Summer, summer, summer, summer, summer, summer, summer.

The bell rings, we explode. Everyone floods the hallway ready to get out. Unfortunately we all still have to get things from our lockers that we procrastinated until today. Troy and Gabriella flaunt their totally stable and perfect relationship which sets off Sharpay in the style of "look at me I'm Sandra Dee." She pauses only when she notices Kelsi is right behind her. Our rehearsal pianist is leaving and I managed to convince her that Kelsi would be a good fit, nowI can only hope she says yes. If it were just for me I would think the money would be more than enough to make up for the attitude, Sharpay though....

Thankfully she agrees, a bit begrudgingly, but it's still agreeing. Sharpay is still hung up in her own ever revolving drama and I make a mental note to thank Kelsi later.

"Cheer up, Shar, it's summer. We can do whatever we want to. Everything changes." Summer break is different, freer. I get to be a main character in the summer, not a side. Plus, we actually get to see our parents a little bit.

"Ryan, who's the absolute primo boy at East High?" Oh, god.

"I'd say Troy Bolton has that category pretty much locked up, don't you think?" It's the answer she wants but not a question I want to answer.

"And East High's primo girl?" I crane my head around the lockers and halls, looking everywhere but at her, "Just answer the question!" She finally shouts.

"Gosh," I sigh, "you?" She nods.

"Troy, Sharpay. Sharpay, Troy. Sharpay..." Ugh

"Shar!" I snap her out of it.

"It just makes sense." She grins.

"Evidently not to Troy." Earth to Sharpay.

"But it's summer, Ry." She pops on her sunglasses, "Everything changes." I don't wanna know what she's planning.

She starts to walk away and I take a moment to compose myself and find my face again before catching up to her.

"So here's what I'm thinking," of course.

"Can you tell me on the way to coffee pretty please, I just don't have any schemes left in me." She pouts a bit but thankfully gives in.

"Fine, but you have to pretend to be excited about my next genius idea." She leads us out of the school.

"Scouts honour." I salute, surely that can't be right.

"You never did boy scouts." She laughs while opening the driver's door.

"Yes, but dad thinks I did." My phone buzzes.

"Are you texting Troy's lackie?" She backs out of the spot and pulls out of East High for the summer.

"He has a name, and yes." I know she knows Chad's name, even if she somehow didn't before we were friends she surely does after this semester.

"We still have to actually talk about that at some point without you dodging all my very important questions. For now though it works out well." I don't like the way she smiles.

"My friends are off limits, Shar." That's never been the deal but maybe if I say it convincingly enough.

"I'm not gonna do anything to Chad! You really think of me as a comic book villain." She exaggerates her shock.

"You really keep acting like one." I take her brief silence to finally check the message.

Sry I dnt catch u n the hall :(

C U over the smr?