Lava Springs

Ryan POV

Lava Springs is like a second home and honestly a nice respite from the constant school drama. Or, at least, it usually is, but right now I'm watching the whole junior class walk in. I don't even register Sharpay falling into the pool until I hear her shrieking at Gabriella, who is apparently our new lifeguard.

I should be unsurprised watching Chad emerge from the gaggle. Of course he is here, why wouldn't he be?

"Wait Sharpay? Are you a member here?" Troy asks from the side of the pool. I am not ready for the tornado Sharpay is about to unleash, in fact I'm no longer ready for the rest of this summer.

Once she's stormed away from the pool Sharpay starts ranting, I'm only vaguely listening. Something about how this wasn't the deal, that she only wanted Troy. Of course that's who this is about.

"I did discuss the matter with the Lava Springs board, of course." Fulton says, clearly stressed by the yelling.

"The board," I jump in. "You mean our.." and Shar is screaming again, storming through the hallways towards the yoga studio.

I take the chance to sit down next to Mom and try to center, I'm used to doing this while the two of them argue. Shar is always arguing with someone.

"Ryan, talk to Mother!" I don't know what I can say.

"Hi, Mom!" She beams back at me.

"Ducky! How's my dashing boy?" We do our little hand shake and start to go into head stands. "Tell Pumpkin if she worries too much, she'll get frown lines."

"I already have twice." we dismount and I bow to her, "namaste"

Shar is already gone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A waiter, Chad is a waiter, as if I needed more of a reason to not attend meals with my family. It's embarrassing being waited on by people I know.

At least I have a reason to spend more time in the dance studio.

"Ryan, follow me." Sharpay snaps her finger and I roll my eyes but obey.

I don't hear her talking though, my mind is busy trying to figure out how to keep my summer as drama free as possible. It's her fault anyway, she schemed to get Troy here. It's not that I don't like Chad, I- it's exactly the opposite.

That date or whatever it was a few weeks ago was a lot, I haven't been able to stop questioning it. Why didn't he want to go be with Taylor? Was me even asking him to dinner overstepping? What's really stuck though is, like always, we fell asleep. I have had friends before, I have never woken up in their arms. Yet that is a regular occurrence with Chad. I have let it go on for too long because I liked the feeling of having a good friend, I won't let whatever this is get any weirder. A little distance, some time to just be, I think it'll do me, both of us, some good.

"...get them fired," Sharpay stops and turns to face me.

"Huh?" I feel like she is expecting an answer.

"Ugh! Do you ever listen?" It's a rhetorical question with a real answer. Not usually.