Chapter 39

After a few minutes of silence, I finally speak up. "How much trouble do you think I'm going to be in?"

Val turns to look at me. "From a scale of 1 to 10, I would say 20. They didn't seem too upset right now, though."

"Well, trust me. They are going to probably give me the biggest lecture and grounding." I say honestly.

"Yeah, but it's worth it, right? I mean if we didn't go to Liam and Cole, they could have be in worse condition."

"Yeah. Honestly though, I wasn't too sure if Cole was going to survive. He was bleeding a lot. At least Liam got his bleeding under control." I said somberly.

She gives me a small smile. "Well, Liam wouldn't have if it wasn't for you. And you gave Cole more time to be able to see an actual doctor. Even Blaise said something about that."

"How are you so optimistic? I'm over here struggling with the fact that I almost lost my best friend and the guy I like. I'm over here trying to figure out how the hell we are going to be able to get Cole home in time when the doctor doesn't even know if or when he will gain conscious." Tears started to roll down my face, but I continued. "He is supposed to be home at 9:00am, which right now seems impossible, and I lied to Liam's mom, who I always considered to be my own."

Val walks over to sit next to me. "I have to stay optimistic because I know you won't. Ever since I met you, I knew that you always saw the worst in everything. That was why I was really confused on how you stayed calm and collected in the car when fixing Cole up. But now I realize that you were just bottling up the negative emotions only for it to come out now."

I hold Cole's hand in my own, wondering more than ever if we could be something. "Do you think that it would be easy to keep a relationship a secret from your family?"

"I have no clue. Although, after this near death experience of the guys, I might consider finding out." She said.

"Seriously? You would risk it?" I asked.

"After everything that happened tonight, yeah. And don't scold me because I know you are considering it too, or else you wouldn't have asked that question."

I don't respond, turning my head back to Cole and starting to move my thumb on the back of his hand. Realizing that I wasn't going to say anything, she goes back to Liam's bedside. Continuing to look at Cole, I eventually drift off to sleep.

Sometime in the morning, I hear a phone ring, causing me to fall off my chair. I see that Val also woke up due to the ringing and I hurry to find it. Once finding it, I answer without looking at the caller id.

"Hello?" 

"Where is my son?" I hear over the line, though I'm still a little drowsy.

"What?"

"This is Mr. Rivera. Now my son was supposed to be home already. It is 9 o'clock, now where the hell is he?"

I look to Val and mouth, fuck. Talking into the phone, I say, "Oh my god, I'm so sorry. We accidentally slept in but we are leaving right now."

"You better." He said and hung up.

Turning to Val, I start to panic. "Get Liam up, now. I'll try to see if I can get Cole awake."

"Okay, but hurry. You don't know how Mr. Rivera is when he is mad."

Panicking even more, I rush to Cole's bed and start shaking him, though that does no good. Once realizing that this method won't work, I murmur and apology before slapping him across the face, which woke him right up. He shoots straight up into a sitting position before his face takes on a pained look and he lays down again.