Chapter 28

After a few minutes of hugging, we start to part. I can tell none of my brothers are used to ever being embraced based on their embarrassed look on their faces. To be honest, it is probably because their gang witnessed them being soft.

I couldn't waste an opportunity to tease them. "I can't believe my big, bad, intimidating brothers are going soft." I said.

Enzo says, "Well this is reserved only for you, so preferably, you should probably not come up here often. I need to keep up my reputation." 

I laugh and look around to see everybody still staring at us. "Hey! Nothing to see here. Mind your own dang business." They all quickly turn away.

My brothers give me a pointed look and I can see a little amusement as well. "What? I didn't cuss or anything. Dang isn't a bad word."

"Of course it isn't. But where is all this new found confidence coming from?" asked Savio.

"I honestly have no idea. Probably the fact that you are here and I know that you would protect me. Also I feel like I shouldn't really be afraid of this since it is the family business." I said.

"I understand, but even the first couple of days you were here, you were frightened and then it was like you snapped into an entirely different person." said Nic.

"So, I have always been a quiet, shy girl, mostly due to the abuse since if I had friends, they would probably have found out about it. I know that Liam knew, but it was different with him. Anyways, I was always bullied as well, but that was when I fought back. I hate bullies and I stood up to them for myself and others, hence the fight at school involving Cole and that wannabe barbie. When I got here, I was very closed off, but then soon realized that you all acted like bullies, so instantly, I fought back. But now, I am more comfortable with you three so I tend to be a little be more confident. I know it's a little weird but do you understand now?" Damn, I feel like a teacher giving lecture or something.

My brothers don't say anything for a few moments, trying to process what is happening. "Okay, yeah I think we do. Now I feel like an asshole even more and you should probably be the designated adult in our house." said Enzo.

I laugh. "It's fine, I forgive you for your rude nature.  By the way, I would love to boss you guys around."

They all laugh too, but then Savio gets serious. "If we were nice to you in the beginning, do you think you would have acted like this with us?"

"I have no idea. I mean, I have learned a lot within the few weeks I have been here and I think those things helped me be a little bit more open. Things like having a new friendship, meeting old friends, and even the arguments we had helped me grow as a person. I really don't know how to explain it, but I think that I still would be struggling to talk to you guys if those factors never came into play. You probably don't know what I mean." I said.

"No, we do know what you mean. To be honest, I think that sort of happened with us, but instead you helped us learn. Do you realize that since you have been here, we have laughed for the first time in a while? We have smiled for probably the first time since mom left. You don't realize how much you have helped us." said Enzo.

I start fanning my eyes. "Stop, you are going to make me cry again. I think that I have cried enough for today. Let's save the rest of the tear jerking conversations for tomorrow."

"Deal, and I think it's time to start heading back downstairs anyways. Come on." Nic said.

We say goodbye to some of the members and go to the main floor, where we see our other brothers sitting in the exact same spot as earlier. Noticing the same thing I did, Enzo clears his throat, causing them to turn around to look at us.

"Have you guys even gotten up from there?" asked Enzo.

"Of course we have. We obviously needed to use the bathroom at some point and get some snacks." Matteo said, acting like Enzo was stupid for asking.

"Don't use that tone with me. Remember who pays for your fucking stuff; I can easily take those things away."

"You can't do that. They're my things."

Nic whispers in my ear, "I'm going to go make dinner. Do you want to come help me?"

I immediately respond. "Yes. Anything to get away from Matteo's bitching. Oh sorry for cussing."

"It's fine. Let's go." 

We walk to the kitchen and he starts to pull out some of the ingredients while I sit down at the counter. 

"So are you going to tell me what we are making or do I have to guess?" I say jokingly.

"Haha. We are making pizza, so get your butt over here and help me." I make my way over and start on the dough. I ask Nic to hand me the flour and he "accidentally" spills some on me. 

"Nico!" I yelled while he was laughing at me. In attempt to get my revenge, I grab some flour and throw it at him.

"Oh, now you are going to get it." 

He dumps a handful on my head and next thing I know, we are in full battle mode, wasting the entire bag of flour on each other.(Picture at top) I don't even notice when our brothers come into the room until Savio clears his throat. Nic and I turn around with a shy smile on our faces.

"So, how's dinner coming along?" asked Enzo with a smile on his face.

"It's going good. Umm, do you have another bag of flour?" I asked.

"Yes, and now I am going to make dinner while you two go take a shower. No offense, but I don't think you guys might want to go wash that flour out of your hair before it damages it." Said Savio.

We both go to our rooms to take a shower and it took a while to get all the flour out. Once I got out, I put on my pajamas since it was already evening and sat down on my bed. I pulled up my sleeves and looked at my scars, trying to remember the first time I cut. The thing is that I don't remember at all. 

Since my wrist was starting to hurt, I stretched the joints a little, causing one of my newer cuts to bleed.

"Damn it." I hissed. 

I hear a knock on the door but before I could say anything, it opened to reveal Nic.

"Hey. Are you read... What happened?" He sees my bloody cut and walks over to me.

"One of my newer cuts opened."

"Hold on. Let me go get that cream I was telling you about and something to sanitize it." He leaves and comes back moments later with a first aid kit.

"This might sting a little." He warns me, before spraying the cut and cleaning it up. After that, he puts a little bit of cream on his finger and starts rubbing it on my cuts.

"So, were you able to get all the flour out of your hair?" He asked.

"I think I was able to get most of it out. How about you?"

"I think so too. Anyways, I am done. You ready to head to the dining room." I say yes and we make our way down, where everyone was already sitting down. 

Throughout dinner, we were all talking to each other, mostly me with my eldest brothers and the younger three with each other. Conversation seemed to flow naturally between us and they never mentioned that talk we had on the third floor. After dinner, I offered to wash the dishes and then turned in for the night. It was still pretty early but I wanted to write a chapter or two before going to bed. 

I was able to get in three chapters before 10:00pm and decided that I should probably get some rest. Laying in bed, I hoped that no nightmare would come and soon drifted off to sleep.