Chapter 27 - Rain

[y/n's pov]

I woke up in the bed, that was supposed to be mine, with Newt sitting on the edge lacing his own shoes.
,,What's up baby?" I asked, raising myself on one elbow.
,,Nothing to worry about love. Alby is going to Maze so I wanna wish him and Minho good luck." he answered, turning to me, his hand brushing my jawline, stopping at my chin bringing my head up a little.
,,Okay." I smiled. He close the gab, giving me quick kiss. I smiled even more, as he slowly let go of my face. I lay down.
,,Will you come back here after?" I asked sleepily.
,,No, because I need to start working (y/n/n)." he said sweetly.
,,Of course." I answered already halfway falling asleep again.

I was with Newt, Zart, Chuck and Thomas, as Newt and Zart were trying to cut out a tree stump.
,,How come Alby went into the maze today? He's not a runner." Thomas said, sitting on a log, watching Newt and Zart. Chuck, sitting right beside him, raised his head for a while, before coming back to carving. Newt sighed, standing up straight, resting his hand a little, so his machete felt to his side.
,,Things are changing now. Alby's following Ben's steps before the sun sets. Wanna help?" Newt explained quickly, trying to change the subject, pointing his machete towards Thomas.
,,So he just goes to where Ben was st-"
,,He knows what he's going, okay?" Newt didn't let Thomas finish, still standing straight. ,,Better than any of us." he continued, bending down, starting to chop the tree again.
,,What does that mean?" Thomas couldn't help himself and asked in low voice. Newt looked slightly annoyed.
,,The exact thing you just hear." I said. Newt straightened his spine, looking at Thomas.
,,It's exactly how you think. Every month, the Box brings up a Greenie. But someone had to be first. Someone had to spend the whole month alone. And that was Alby." Newt explained, bending down again, hewing the tree again. He was still cutting the tree while talking. ,,It couldn't be easy, but as the others came, he figured it out."  Newt stopped chopping again, standing straight once again. ,,He learned, that we got each other. That we are in this together." Newt was showing around with his machete. Even Zart stopped working, looking at him, Chuck holding knife and the wood carving he was working on, looking up. I was smiling lightly, knowing how proud Newt was of his friend, and the fact, that they were really in this together, made them stronger and better as team.
Thomas looked down on ground, thinking for a while, before standing up, taking third machete, bending down to be where Newt was before, starting to chop the tree with Zart.
,,Great job Tommy!" said Newt, with a light smile playing on his lips.
They were cutting the tree for like other half an hour, until the skies went darker.
,,It's not supposed to be this dark yet." I said, looking at my wrist watch. And I would bet anything that everyone could hear how I was terrified.
,,What is happening?" asked Chuck, raising head to look at the dark sky.
,,I- I don't know Chuck." said Newt. ,,This never happened before." he and Zart were looking up, scanning the black skies. I raised my head too, watching the skies getting darker and darker until a drop fall from them, landing on my cheek, under my eye. I looked at all the guys, as a huge rain started.
,,Is this rain?" asked Zart, as I laughed, opening my arms, spinning, letting the rain soak me.
,,Yeah." Newt said, smiling as he was watching my happiness with rain. ,,Let's hide under a roof." he grabbed my wrist, leading a way under a roof, so we all could hide
,,I thought you said it never rains here." said Thomas, the rain soaking him too, as his shirt was sticking to his skin.
,,Yeah, I said it. It never happened." explained Newt, stopping under the roof. ,,Princess, you are totally soaked with that rain." he said, scanning my body as he held me by my upper arms, away from him just by length of his straightened arms.
,,Well so are you." I answered, still small smile on my face, as I moved his wet hair away from his face. He smiled at me. ,,I'm sorry baby, I'm going to see how others are doing." I apologized.
,,That's all right (Y/n)." he said, his smile fading as he looked at the Maze doors. Minho and Alby, how could I forgot? I gave him quick kiss on his cheek, heading away, feeling horrible for leaving him there.
Most of the Gladers were hidden under a roof. What was I expecting. I went back to Thomas and Newt. There was a silence between them, as the rain started fading. I saw them talking about something. I stood next to Newt, looking into the Glade as the rain faded. It was getting late, and the doors were close to closing.
We walked to the doors, standing there, looking into the Maze. I stood on Newt's right side, Thomas on his left. Chuck on Thomas' left, Gally crouching next to him.
,,Why can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asked, looking at Newt, who had his hand around his chin and mouth.
,,That would be wasting." said Gally without hesitation. Newt brought his fingers closer to his lips, turning his head slightly to Thomas, before returning the gaze at the entrance to the Maze, his fingers sliding down around his mouth corners as he licked his lips. He did this move often, mostly when he was anxious, and I only noticed now.
,,But what if-"
,,It's against the rules." said Gally again. Newt dropped his hand, slightly brushing mine as it fall. He hooked his pinky around mine, his jaw clenching. The air that always blew past us, when the doors were about to get closed, just ran around us, we covered our faces, before looking back at the entrance. the door making huge noise.
,,There!" said Thomas pointing into the Maze. And there they were, my friends, Runner and the Keeper of this whole Glade. But, something was-
,,Something's wrong." Newt said, leaning little into the entrance, everyone doing the same.
,,Come on Minho you can do it!" yelled Chuck on top of his lungs, all the Gladers except me, Newt and Thomas, doing the same. The door were getting closer and Minho was carrying Alby.
,,Leave him there!" sounded from somewhere in the Gladers, as Minho started dragging Alby on floor by his leg.
,,They're not gonna make it." said Newt, who was anxiously clenching my wrist. I looked at him, so did Thomas. My gaze met with Thomas' and all I could see in my brother's eyes was wildness and determination. I shook my head in disagreement slowly, before he turned back to Maze, where Minho was few meters away from the door, Alby being pulled behind him, the door millimeters away from hitting one another. Newt was almost crushing my wrist, and that was the moment Thomas started. He ran to the door, Newt reaching for his hand to try and stop him, but Thomas was faster, and got in between the walls, trying to push himself through.