Chapter 13 - Bonfire

[Y/n's pov.]

,,Hey Fry." I greet the cook as I enter kitchen, empty kitchen.
,,Hey."
,,Where's everyone?"
,,Outside. It's your first time bonfire right?"
,,Yeah."
,,Yeah so we're grilling meat on fire."
,,Oh, good that." I smile at him and leave the kitchen again. I see all the boys around one spot.

,,Hey." I greet Gally as I get close enough.
,,Hello Greenie." he says turning to face me. I just roll my eyes. ,,Here to help?"
,,Maybe, I actually dunno what's going on." I answer honestly.
,,Yeah, I forgot, your first bonfire. Um, maybe you can just go and sit down already." he laughs. I raise my shoulders and leave so I can sit down. Imma hold place for Newt.

,,Hi." says someone. I raise my head and see Greenie.
,,Hello." I say back with small smile.
,,Um, how are you?" he asks and all I can do is feeling totally puzzled.
,,Good, you?" I ask slowly, not knowing what the heck's going on.
,,Fine, thanks for the tour tho." he answers smiling.
,,No problem..." I say, and leave to take at least two seats.

I have been sitting for a while when Minho jumps on seat to my left. He scared me but then I smiled at him.
,,Hello!" I say cheerfully as he's the only one to sit next to me so far.
,,Hey. Where have you left Newt?" he asks looking around.
,,Oh, he's still sleeping I guess." I answer looking at the pile of wood.

We sit next to each other and talk about almost everything and then, when it's getting really dark, it konda was already, but it's darker. Few Gladers start the fire.

In fisrt we just sit and we grill our food. Minho gave me a plate and when I finished it I placed it on the empty seat I was saving for Newt.

,,So, how's your job?" he asks and I turn away from fire, looking him into the eyes smiling.
,,Um, pretty good I would say." I say not knowing actually, because I haven't got much space to be real Med-jack.
,,Yeah, first weeks are the best ones." he says smiling at me. I try to smile but I repeat his words in my head. Does it mean, it's only going to get worse? Maybe. I don't want this. Even now that almost everyone in Glade is treating me with some respect, it's still terrible to thin that maybe it will get worse. Welcoming Greenie, letting them touch my body, every month. Having to listen to applause everytime I have longer conversation, because they think I'm slut...

My eyes find the nearest wall and my thoughts are wrapped around it like the ivy. Maybe jump, it could be fast... Quick death, in peace...

When I feel Minho's grip, I wake up from something like trans, half way standing look locked on walls covered in ivy.

,,(Y/n), what, are, you, doing?!" he says urgently but quietly and makes pause after every word making sure I listen to all of them.
,,I, ummm" I try to think of some excuse for me almost trying to kill myself infront of every single Glader... every single Glader expect for... ,,Newt, I wanted to go and check on him." I say quickly. Minho just kills me with unbelieving look.
,,He'll come." he closes it, sitting me back down. And with this, my every suicidal though leaves my body and burns in fire.

I stare into the fire for so long, hhat it got so dark. I hear someone coming and I turn, to see Newt with extremly messy hair coming to us. I move the plate on my right side and place it on my legs to make free him his seat. He sits down, turning his head on me as I look him in the eyes before checking his face. The fire giving him golden to orange highlights.

,,Thank you." he says smiling at me.
,,No problem." I smile back, as I notice him looking down at my lips, before biting his bottom lip. I notice both of us getting closer, and I try to stop myself, but it's like someone's pushing me.

,,How did you sleep sleeping beauty?" asks Minho, breaking the moment and we both back up from each other, Newt slightly leaning forward to look at Minho.
,,Uh, I dunno, I thought the bed was better than the hammocks, but I guess I got used to sleep in hammock. Also the bed is so big.." Newt explains. I smile and roll my eyes at this.
,,Oh, yeah man, you should totally try having someone in the bed, trust me, then it'll be enough big." Minho says. I stare at Newt and I notice something in the way he looks at Minho, it reminds me of jealousy.
,,It doesn't matter." Newt says closing this topic, but I'm kinda curious why he was jealous. I look around, as I notice Gally standing up.

,,Fighting time!" he yells and all the Gladers cheer. I smile at this. Then everyone stands up. I'm confused, and I look around to figure out what's about to happen. Then I notice Newt's hand reaching for me, to help me stand. I notice every detail of his hands, and even more when I touch it. His fingertips are hard, they have callus on them, but the hand is soft, and also bigger. And even with this small contact, I feel like flying.