24

Alex

"Why are you here, Derek?" I asked, doing my best to compose myself after having him catch Chtistiand and I in such an inappropriate position

"I work here?" Derek answered all matter-of-factly. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Not like that. I meant what are you doing here still? You never work this late." I replied. And I was right. Generally, Derek was one of the first people out of this building as soon as we were given the okay to head home. Whenever asked to stay and help out, Derek always found a riveting excuse not to.

Last month's excuse was that he needed to leave so that he could make it to his Aunt Candice's home in hopes of assisting her around the house. He told the department she was recovering post spine alignment surgery.

Something Joan and I knew that no one else did, was that Aunt Candice didn't actually exist.

Joan and I reached the conclusion that we really didn't give a fuck to ask questions. It wasn't like Derek really did much of anything while he was here anyways. Overtime would have done nothing but be an unnecessary expense for the company. This was why I found it difficult to see this guy here any time after five.

"Have you been downstairs? Damn near half of every department is still working." Derek replied, pulling out one of the guest seats at my desk, and plopping himself down besides Christian... who wasn't paying Derek too much attention because he was doing his best to rearrange his erection inside his tight suit pants. Irritation was blatant on Christian's face, but that's just how he was with Derek. Christian complained Derek gave him migraines.

My eyebrows raised at Derek's words.

Was he serious? That many people were still here?

I glanced at Christian nervously. Some doubts had started to fill my mind on whether launching both partnership brands at the same time was a good idea. Seeing the work all the departments had put in on Saturday, then seeing more long hours worked today... it just made me feel like we should have waited.

Maybe it was too much on everyone's shoulders, to pull together... Had I jumped the gun on this one?

"Bullshit." Christian announced, startling me out of my thoughts as he pushed himself to his feet. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion because I wasn't sure who he was talking to. I hadn't even said anything yet. "This launch will go on as scheduled for tomorrow. I'll inform HR that we will be paying extra out to our employees for the overtime." He straightened the suit that I had most definitely messed up by falling into him earlier. "Alex, your projections look good. I trust tomorrow will go well. Stop doubting yourself." He glanced down at me, and offered me one of those toothy grins. The ones that made my stomach think it was on a high beam in the Olympics gymnastic finals.

I couldn't help but give him a heated shy smile in return. He was too good at reading me.

Before I could say something, there was another sound at the entrance to my office.