10

Alex

"J-John?" I stuttered out, as Mr

"J-John?" I stuttered out, as Mr. Terry himself walked into my office.

"Alex. You look surprised to see me." He commented almost immediately

"Hi! Yes, I'm sorry. Hi. Please sit." I gestured towards one of the guest chairs.

"Did Christian mention I would be stopping by?" John asked, as he took a seat across from me at my desk.

"Yes. He did, yes. However, he told me you would be in at 9:45am."

John looked down at his watch, then over at the clock on the wall. "Oh you must forgive me, it seems I must have forgotten to change the time zone from my previous trip. No wonder my staff was so confused with me this morning." He chuckled to himself as he fixed his watch. I gave him an understanding nod.

"That's quite alright, Mr. Terry-"

"John." He corrected me.

"John. Right. My apologies, I haven't found the time to look over your paperwork yet, or prepare anything. It's all sort of a mess right now." I tried to explain.

"Oh no worries! Take all the time you need. I've got absolutely nothing planned for this morning."

I glanced over at John as he made himself comfortable in his seat. Then I glanced down at the piles of unknown paperwork that had been jumbled together when Anna pushed them aside. I wasn't exactly sure where to start, considering I hadn't even skimmed through them yet.

Christian must had numbered everything, right?

I glanced at the top of the first few pages. The numbers read 123, 124, and 125. Luckily, some of the pages had still stayed together.

"Did you enjoy the Gala?" John asked, ripping me straight out from my concentration.

"I-Yes. Yeah, it was good. How did um- how did you enjoy it? Was it nice?" I asked him in return. I felt his gaze never leave me as I fumbled through papers, and did my best to put them in sequential order. His gaze was intense, causing me to grow increasingly nervous while he watched me work.

"It was very nice, yes. I noticed you and your friends did a disappearing act towards the end of the night there."

My eyes quickly darted away from the paperwork to catch a glimpse of John's. Every time my eyes found his, I forgot how picture perfect this man was. "Yes, sorry about that. I needed to get my mother back ho-" I stopped myself short before I could finish that sentence. "My mum needed to leave." Home would make absolutely no sense. According to the update Christian had given me, it didn't seem like my mother had a home.

John paused a moment before he said anything. "I understand. Hopefully she's doing better. She was very pleasant from the few moments I did get to speak with her."