36

Christian

Before I could whisk Alex away to our final destination for the evening, I walked us down to the second tent that was selling those incredibly tacky ass shirts

I thought they looked like an absolute abomination on the eyes...

... but I could tell that Alex really wanted one.

He had a smile from ear to ear as the vendor swiped my card for the twenty five dollars and thirty six cents. It was pocket change though, and especially worth it for the abrupt embrace I received from Alex.

"Thank you!" He gushed in my arms. "I'll pay you back as soon as we make it to the resort, I promise!"

"No you won't. Shut up and enjoy your stupid shirt." I told him sternly before giving him a light kiss on his forehead. "Now, let's head to our final destination shall we?"

-

Alex tangled his fingers with my own as we walked.

That brought a smile to my face.

I kept thinking about what I had said to Brad in the morning- about making a gesture that was genuine. It wasn't that I didn't think Alex appreciated or enjoyed the expensive lavish lifestyle I came with... but I was starting to see how money could be a cop out. I wanted to do something for Alex that didn't always have such a pricy price tag attached to it- something more meaningful...

Like Eddie Chang.

I lead him to a more private area of the beach. It was still a place open to the public, but scarcely anyone knew about it.

We watched as a small group of women gathered at the edge of the ocean. They were wearing traditional skirts and tops with colorful lei's and gorgeous ankle bracelets. Alongside each woman was a large surfboard. Alex began to slow to a stop.

"Who are they?" He asked me.

"They're Hula dancers." I replied. "This date marks the passing of one of the community's leaders- Kahawai Kahikilani. They bring their boards out to the water as part of a ceremony to honor his life. I know it's a little sad, but their singing is so beautiful, I thought you would like to sit in for the ceremony with me."

I pointed past us to a place ahead. Alex turned to where I was pointing, and sure enough, just a little further up the beach was the little spot I'd prepared. It was just a blanket on the sand with a few candles around, but it was right next to the shore of the ocean. The spot was also surprisingly secluded. A large rock structure that merged with the mainland, had created a barrier around the area. This made this particular location all the more romantic.

On the blanket, I had set a bottle of sparkling juice, along with two wine glasses and a tray of treats.

Alex whipped his head around to face me again. I couldn't read his expression at first... but then the largest smile graced his lips, and all that worry left me. "Do you like it?" I asked.