37

Alex

I didn't know what to say at first

For starters, I was currently doing everything in my power to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

Christian had such a grip on my hand, the mere thought of blood still circulating to my fingers was impossible to fathom anymore. I was sure they must have been turning a pale blue in color.

"Christian..." I whispered, trailing off...

Words weren't finding me easy tonight.

"Shit, I'm so sorry!" Christian was quick to rush out. I could see worry flash across his face and it was mixed with that look of pain and rejection. It made my heart feel like it had just been ripped straight out from my chest. "I shouldn't of rushed things, or said something like that-"

"Would you shut the hell up?" I snapped on him almost immediately.

Christian's lips shut closed just as quickly as they parted.

"You make me wish I had planned out what I was going to say tonight... but I don't think there's anything I could say that would even begin to top your words." I explained to this man. Christian remained silent as I spoke. "It's crazy to think that here I am feeling this heavy guilt for how much you do for me... when you're seated right here entertaining the thought that you possibly haven't done enough.

"However terribly you went about it, Christian, you did save my mother's life. Whether it was a life worth saving is still to be determined, but you did that... and you did that for me. I thought the only eternal debt I'd have to work off in this lifetime would come from my student loans." That made me chuckle. "What you did, Christian... That's something I'm not sure I'll ever be able to repay."

I felt myself relax when I saw Christian's tense shoulders soften. He no longer had that daunting look of worry etched into his face, as he continued to sit still and listen.

"The way you handled my alcohol abuse... The way you handled the Gala..." I could feel that familiar stinging in my nose as my eyes began to tear up.

Just the thought of that that night at the Gala.

Having to see my mother.

Having to watch as my mother embarrassed me for the nine gazillionth time in my life.

Seeing her at my place of work amongst my coworkers and our clients- it felt like everything I had been working so hard to distance myself from, had come crashing down all around me....

And there was a part of myself that was still angry.

Angry at the fact that Christian had thought it okay to do something like that.

Angry at the fact that he thought he had any right to.

But there was another part of myself... a small part of myself that felt proud. Funny isn't it? Even through all that trauma, there was a part of me that was proud at the fact I had got to show my mother all I accomplished without her help.