28

Christian

I walked with Alex back down to the main event, after he successfully stored his cheese in his office desk

Of course I had questions... like why did he feel the need to snag a bag of expensive cheese when I could just buy him some? At last, I thought it would be best to address it after the event. Something told me it had nothing to do with Alex, and everything to do with Derek.

Not much time passed before I felt my phone vibrate in my vest pocket. When I took a look to see who it was, Brad's contact popped up with a message. He was letting me know that he had just pulled into the underground parking. I glanced up from the screen and leant towards Alex.

"I'm going to have to step out for a short while, Alex. I'll be right back." I whispered in his ear. He was still pretending to listen intently to the conversation some of our investors were having, but the diversion of his eyes let me know he had caught my words.

"Sounds good." He whispered to me briefly, before redirecting his attention to the two women.

I slid my phone into my pocket, and began the almost impossible act of getting out of the event. Every two steps I took, it felt like someone had to tap me on the shoulder, or give me a light arm tug. For the first time in what I'd argue ever, I started to recognize more of the investors. Usually, everyone's faces would all sort of mix together, and Brad would have to remind me of their names. Today, I was actually able to greet a few people by name.

It helped to have Alex by my side. He was a natural when it came to conversation, and his ability to look interested in absolute nonsense was just- more than I could ever do.

I gave one more greeting to a good friend of my fathers who was taking photos for the event. He gave me a quick hug as soon as he spotted me, and complimented me for how well the turnout was. "It was actually all my assistant, Alex." I told him honestly. Henry gave me a look.

"I don't think I've ever heard you not take credit for something before. This must be the Alex your mother has been going on and on about." Henry replied. He shifted the camera to his other hand so he could pick up a glass of champagne that was being offered by one of our caterers. I was going to swat his hand away and remind this man that he was still on the clock, but then I thought fuck it. There was only a little time left of the launch anyways.

Another text came through my phone. I felt the aggressive vibrations in my pocket, but I didn't dare draw attraction to it. Instead, I did my best to cut this conversation with Henry short. "I'm just going to head out to meet a few guests that are walking in, but I'll catch up with you before the event is over." I told him.

Henry gave me a nod. "I'll try and locate this Alex. Tell him how great a job he did- since you don't feel the need to take the credit."

I chuckled at his words as I watched him disappear into the crowd. That was when I got a move on, myself.