25

Christian

I laid awake at night, staring at the light fixture on my ceiling

The time on my bedside clock read 3:12 am. In about three hours, I was going to need to get up and start getting things together for the launch, but sleep was the hardest thing for me to find tonight. My mind was running a thousand miles an hour.

I thought back to the conversation I had with Alex just before he left the office. When he mentioned Bridge, that brought on a familiar feeling of irritation. Not towards Alex, but rather the situation. It felt like every time Alex and I were making strides to talk about us, life would throw us another fucking curveball that derailed our chances of having that conversation.

Of course I wanted to make things official with Alex...

...but I wanted to do it right.

I had made many mistakes in my previous relationships, and this was mainly due to the fact that I didn't give a rats ass about my partners. Everyone I dated had been set up through my mother. She made those decisions based on who would fit well with the company, but never who would fit well with me. Alex was my first real choice I had made in terms of my romantic relationships, and I wanted to make sure he understood how special that was for me... how much he meant to me.

I had something planned. Something special. We just needed to make it through this launch first, then we'd be off to Hawaii. When I discussed that with Alex last night, he seemed surprised to hear I had still kept everything as planned in terms of our trip. I wanted this getaway with him so that we could spend time talking about us. No work distractions. No life distractions.

I sent Alex home around 7 pm last night. I ended up staying at the office until close to midnight to assist in some smaller work that had been missed by Marketing. I could see the visible worry Alex had when he saw everyone working late, and I wanted to make sure that the launch exceeded everyone's expectations... even his. Plus, Ivanov Corp needed another win.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock at my bedroom door.

"Come in." I called out. Nathaniel entered moments later with a cup in hand.

"Whiskey on the rocks. I know you didn't request a night cap, but I thought you might need one. Big day ahead and you need every second of sleep you can get, sir." He set the cup at my bedside table, with a coaster underneath.

"Thank you, Nathaniel." I gave him a smile. "You always seem to know when I'm having trouble sleeping."

"You never sleep well before big events." He replied. "Don't forget I used to change your diapers, Christian. I know you too well."

I chuckled at his words. Nathaniel always had a way of making me feel like I could never repay what he's done for me and this family.

"Don't overthink it. Drink the drink and go to bed. Whatever will be, will be." His hand reached up to ruffle my hair a bit, the way he used to when I was younger. I couldn't help but broaden my smile at the warm and thoughtful gesture. "Goodnight Christian." He said before he left.