Mistake

Chapter Five: Mistake

"June!" my mother shouted. "Get up right now or I swear--"

"Don't swear!" I snapped. "Promise."

"Fine. I promise that I will take a butcher knife and--"

"She might actually like that," Peter called from another room.

"Shut up!"

My mother sighed. "Just get ready for school, sweeties."

Ella only watched, amazed at her school-going siblings.

"Its all your fault you know," I gurgled through my toothbrush at Peter. "You just had to"--I spit out my toothpaste and put aside my brush--"go to college here, didn't you?"

He rolled his eyes. "Sorry, Harvard was all full."

"As if," I retorted.

He left the room dramatically, moving one leg very far away from the other as he strode away. As the door closed behind him, my angel immediately appeared in the mirror.

"Ello love," he whispered.

I gasped, and whirled on him. I put one hand on his strong chest, pushing him against the wall. "Its time for answers," I said. "Tell me your name and what the hell you want with me."

"My name is Jasper, and I'm here to find someone to save me from hell."

"Well, you've got the wrong girl."

"I don't think I do," he replied. He leaned in to kiss me, but I curved out of his reach. This did not even turn his mouth at the corners, and I could not decide whether or not that made him cocky or determined. Jasper was attractive, seemingly perfect, but who or what ever he was, he could not barge into my house and expect me to serve him and save him from hell. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a Christian girl and before and after my cutting phase, I've been very strong in belief. But I was pretty sure that being saved by Jesus and helping someone else get saved are two completely different things, and at the time, I wasn't sure which was harder.

Jasper took another swing, but only to get a cold rejection once more. "Stop it!" I shrieked. "Jeez, what is wrong with you?"

"Um..." This time he was scowling and looking at his ebony sneakers.

I ran into my room, getting the rose off of my bed, and bringing it back to him. I pulled out his hand and enclosed it in it, saying, "Look, Jasper, I don't really understand who you are or fully what you want, but I'm not the right person to give you a ticket to heaven. Read the Bible; I don't know. Just not this...okay?"

His eyes seeming to be in flames, but once again it could have been a trick of the light, because without responding, he did what he does best. Disappearing.

What frightened me was, I wasn't fully alright with him being gone, and I was considering that I might have just made a huge mistake.