A Call Home

Percy on Deck

Chapter 6 - A Call Home

Thursday, August 14, 2014, 1:30 AM

Percy

Percy flipped his phone up and down in his hands.

God he was such a coward, he could take on Titans, Gigantes, and Primordials, but couldn't make a simple phone call.

He sighed. He put down his phone and put on jeans and a jacket over his pajamas. Maybe a walk on the skydeck would make his feel better. He slipped his phone and his room key into his pocket and slid out of the room as stealthily.

As he walked out of the elevator, he was surprised to see the lobby empty for the first time he'd been on board.

Of course, everybody's asleep, he thought to himself.

When he walked onto the skydeck, he heard a smash and jumped. Immediately after, crying could be heard; Crying he had heard once before. At the time, they had been trapped on a deserted island, and Percy had woken up and heard her crying.

"London," he called out.

London

One of London' favorite parts of the SS Tipton was the Sky Deck. Every night, she would sneak out at 1 AM and just sit there under the stars, enjoying herself.

In the past week, though, her thoughts had been about a certain, handsome man, two years younger than her, with the most beautiful sea green eyes.

During the hour she stayed up, she could truly be London Tipton; not London Tipton, the heiress, but London Tipton, the ninteen year old girl. She could let out her true feelings without anyone to judge her and make her act a certain way because she was rich.

However that day was different than usual.

London's phone interrupted the cold, harsh, but serene silence of the morning.

She looked down at the caller ID. "Daddy," she sighed.

She answered the phone and listened in.

"Hey London, sweetie," said the owner of the SS Tipton. "I have great news, today there was a new Mrs. Tipton. I was married again."

London instantly froze up. "That's great daddy," she said, but her voice cracked.

"I got to go," he said, "bye sweety."

The second her dad hung up, she threw the phone across the sky deck, and heard a shatter. She sniffed then began to cry sadly, until a voice asked uncertainly from somewhere else, "London."

She turned and saw a dark figure, stalking towards her.

She shook with fear, "who are you?" she asked nervously. She wasn't sure, but she thought she saw him frown.

"It's Percy." The figure replied.

"Percy Jackson?" asked London.

"You remember me?" he asked in surprise. "Cody, Zack, and Bailey all said you never remember anybody."

"Yeah, you're the -" London immediately stopped herself, she couldn't exactly say, 'you're the boy I'm crushing on.'' "you." she finished lamely.

"Uh thanks," said Percy, sounding confused, "I think."

Inwardly she kicked herself. "So what are you doing up here?" she asked.

"Your'e the one who's up here smashing stuff, and crying." he said kindly, "Why don't you tell me what you were doing here, and I'll tell you what I'm doing here." Percy said, almost sounding like he was trying to stall.

"Sure." said London. The second Percy had appeared, she had forgotten all about herself crying and her dad getting married again. She sighed. "It's my dad."

Percy walked up to her until he was a foot away from her. "Mr. Tipton?" he asked.

London nodded. "Tell me what's wrong." he said.

"My dad, he's getting remarried again." she sighed.

Percy

"My dad, he's getting remarried again." London sighed.

Percy's thoughts instantly shifted to his own dad and mom. As much as he wanted his parents to marry and love each other again. He knew it was impossible. Both were married, and his father had cheated on his wife to have him. Plus even if neither were married, Poseidon was a god, and his mom was still a mortal.

"You probably think I'm stupid," said London, "my parents hate each other, but I always dream of them getting back together."

Percy hugged London who was sniffling and on the verge of tears.

"I get it, my parents were never married, I always dream of them getting married, and being together forever," literally, he thought to himself, "but now my mom is married, and my dad was already married."

London hugged him back. The two sat together just absorbing each other's presences. They didn't get up or let go until the hourly beep of Percy's watch beeped 2:00.

"Thanks," said London, "I needed that."

"So did I." said Percy. He turned and got up to go." he turned back to London who remained sitting there. "Same time tomorrow?" he asked.

He got a smile in response,"Definitely," said London.

Five minutes later, he entered his cabin. Zack was still snoring on his bed.

Percy pulled his phone and dialed a familiar number.

"Blofis residences, Paul speaking." said a familiar voice, though he sounded tired. Percy wanted to smack himself, of course he was still tired, it was still early in New York

"Paul, it's Percy."

"Percy?" asked Percy's step-father, all traces of tiredness gone, "as in Percy Jackson?"

"Yes," said Percy, "can I talk to my mom?"

London

London sighed as she watched him go. When he was gone she rolled up her sleeves.

As much as London hoped he would understand, she knew he didn't fully understand.

She glanced down at the tattoo with a heart and three bars. He didn't understand, nobody understood. She glanced down once more at the Symbol, the Symbol of Venus, Goddess of Love. Then stood up and walked away.