Chapter 13.

"Mia!" I heard my moms voice but it quickly went away the moment I opened my eyes.

"Mom?" I said quietly. I turned my head and looked outside my window just to realize it was still night time and considering I fell asleep after the midnight there was no way my mom was awake or yelling at me. I looked down on my body and I could feel the sweat dripping down my skin. I took a deep breath and placed my palms right on top of my forehead, rubbing my eyes. Another one. I thought to myself. For the past couple of nights and after what happened between me and Tommy at his place, sleeping was extremely hard for me. Thoughts, conversations and moments were crossing my mind for the most part of the night keeping me awake. And the few hours I could actually fall asleep, were filled with nightmares. As a kid I was always scared of the dark, thinking that my worse fears were hiding right behind it. But what were those fears? And how could they possibly have changed in no time. Since we moved to Boston, all of my fears seemed to be left back in Texas, along with a bunch of my insecurities and everything I wouldn't want to carry in my new life. But how could I know that new fears and insecurities would take over shortly after moving here. Since I moved to Boston, my night light was off with the only spark of light entering the room, being from the crosswalk lights. This night was different. The third night of the nightmares I took my hands of my face and used my phone to find the night light and plug it in. I looked around my room, analyzing my surroundings and after realizing I could see everything I lied back on my pillow. I took a deep breath and my face burned as my tears dripped down my cheeks. I tried to go back to sleep but after feeling majorly uncomfortable I gave up. I grabbed my phone again and started scrolling down on different apps. I locked my phone and placed it facing down on my bed. Shit. I exclaimed. The sun was already up and I could hear my head ringing. I sat my eyes to try and take as much sleep as I could but before I even knew it I heard a knock on my door. I shut my eyes even harder when I heard the door behind my back opening.

"Mia, are you awake?" Jake said. I took another deep breath and turned his way. I could barely open my eyes.

"What the fuck Jake? It's..." I turned my head again to check my digital clock standing on top of my nightstand. "Eleven-thirty am?" I suddenly got up and widen my eyes.

"Yes, it's time you wake up!" He mentioned walking further into my room, shutting the door behind him. "Listen..." He said and by my look he stopped. "I didn't even say what I need yet!" He added loudly.

"Yes. But by the way you walked in here, I know you want me to do something."

"I just need your help!"

"My help with what, Jake?" I asked impatiently and at the same time in frustration.

"It's Christmas Eve and I still don't have a gift!"

"A gift for who?" I rolled my eyes.

"Naya?" Is he asking me? I thought to myself but shook my head to get back to reality.

"You still didn't get her anything?"

"Oh shut up Mia. We are not all like you. I bet you got Tommy's gift a month ago. Or maybe a year! Who knows?"

"What? No I didn't!" I implied aggressively. "I didn't even know Tommy a year ago."

"Hah! So you did get it a month ago."

"No, I didn't." But Jake was right again.

"Anyways, are you coming?"

"Just let me get ready." I got up and pushed him outside of my room. I took my pajamas off and grabbed some clean clothes from my closet. As I pushed the closet's door to shut it off my eyes fell on the bruises left from the last time I saw Tommy. I shut my eyes hard and pressed my nails inside my palm. I felt like I was about to panic so I turned my body the other way, took a deep breath and started getting dresses without thinking. When I was ready, I washed my face brushed my teeth and got downstairs to meet my brother.