Chapter 17.

I watched the sun coming up, while the sunlight was bursting through the thin layers of fabric, softly reaching my skin. My eyes were burning and I could feel the black undertones of my eye bugs. I stretched my hand towards the nightstand, placed right next to my bed and I grabbed my phone. Six- fifteen. I said slowly and placed it back down after checking out my notifications. I shut my eyes and tried to take a nap before my grandparents wake us all up for our typical family breakfast. What felt like seconds later, which in reality was a little over 3 hours, my mom slowly knocked on the door asking me to get to the kitchen where everybody was. I heavily opened my eyes and grabbed a towel right before walking to the bathroom to take a warm shower and get ready for the day.

"Good morning!" I said walking inside the kitchen.

"Oh my baby!" My grandma exclaimed and hugged me tightly. The night before we barely saw each other after we came back home late. She slowly pushed me back and placed my hair behind me ears, a gesture that made me smile. "You look so great." She added.

"Thank you nana!" I replied and went back in for another hug.

I could recognize the scent of my grandma's signature apple pie, but at the same time the combination of scrambled eggs and pancakes my mother had made. Only a few moments later the kitchen was filled with people and loud voices. My family had always been loud, as my grandpa used to say, loud since the beginning of time. Until that moment I hadn't realized how much I had missed spending time with my family and especially with the ones I was unable to get together with the entire year. I watched my cousins awkwardly staring at each other like something was going on, which made me raise my eyebrows and shake my hands in confusion. Jake quickly got up and left his body fall roughly on the empty space of the couch right next to me. He tightly grabbed my arm and brought me closer.

"We got something!" He whispered letting a fake cough out and smiling towards our parents.

I stared at him and decided to stay quiet avoiding to have to explain or understand myself what's going on. Any time Jake and Kyle had an idea it could only mean one thing trouble. I saw Maddie getting out of the kitchen and I slowly got up to follow her lead. Seconds later me, Jake, Maddie, Maya and Kyle were standing around the big dining table quietly. Jake put him arms on top of the table letting his body lean forward and so did Kyle.

"Tonight!" Kyle said picking up his index finger.

"You guys are not ready for this!" Jake added smiling.

"What is it?" Maddie screamed impatiently making all of us place our fingers in front of our lips shushing her.

"My fellows from the fraternity are having this big party before New Years and they said we can bring anyone we want!" Kyle implied and looked back at Maddie who was now walking quickly back and forth in the dining area.

"Oh my god, what does this mean?" She asked excitingly.

"It means you guys have to look old enough to party!" He replied.

"How?" I asked with my heart racing. My first university party. I thought to myself as I felt my muscles getting tighter from anxiety.

"I mean, make up or whatever you usually do. They won't ask for an ID anyways!"

"That's awesome!" Maddie said one more time trying not to scream. "Boys!" She turned her hair to stare at me. "So many boys!" She said again clapping her hands in front of my face.

"I mean... I am not really interest..." I tried to finish my sentence but Maddie caught me off!

"Oh who cares about a boy who is not even here?" She implied angrily and grabbed me by my shoulder. "It's time to have fun!"