Chapter 28.

I waited patiently for Tommy to wake up so I can get out of bed. A little after the sun was up I heard Kian being unreasonably loud in the kitchen. I got up and slowly walked out of the room closing the door behind me, making sure Tommy was asleep first. 

"Hey!" I said almost whispering.

"I am so sorry. I tried to put some plates away and I almost dropped the box."

"No, you are good. I didn't sleep at all." 

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep either. I am too excited." He paused looking at me. I glimpsed myself in a small mirror still sitting on the ground. I looked exhausted and depressed. "How are you, Mia?"

"Yeah, I am good... I guess." I replied hesitant. 

"Are you sure? To be honest..." He paused and lowered his voice. "I didn't think you were getting back together."

"I didn't really have a choice... He forced me to come here. But he also said he wants to try and be better."

"People change. Maybe he can too."

"I hope so... I want this to work Kian. Like you and Grace. You guys look so great together."

"Not everything you see is perfect Mia. We have our problems too."

"At least you are nice to each other. You love each other and it shows."

"Yeah... we do." Kian said placing his hand on top of my shoulder trying to comfort me.

 Tommy opened the bedroom door quickly and walked out to the kitchen. He grabbed a bottle of water and shoved it down. 

"What are you two talking about?" He asked slightly annoyed.

"Nothing... Just about me and Gracie." Kian replied noticing the relief on my face.

"Oh yeah... The perfect couple... Kian and Gracie." his voice was deep and ironic.

"I think they are... kind of perfect!" I implied loudly.

"Thank you Mia...!" Kian pointed at me as I had just proved a point.

"Nobody is perfect." Tommy replied casually and walked out of the kitchen and to the living room.

"That we can both agree too." Kian said whispering to me. I smiled. "So guys, you want to get the grand tour, by the one and only Kian the explorer?"

"Only if you are related to Dora!" I said copying Kian's voice and bursting into laughter. Tommy was not amazed and probably even more annoyed than before.

"I should bring Mia back." 

"No, come on. We will all leave together tonight! Let's just show her around, so see can see what our lives will be soon!"

"I would love that! I sat down next to Tommy, putting my hands together waiting for his response.

"Okay, whatever!" Tommy said quietly.

We spent the entire day sightseeing, walking around the City. New Haven was beautiful and there were many things to do and see, including the University itself. There were moments I would dream of myself as a student here, walking through the same paths and other moments these dreams would turn into nightmares, of a life full of abuse and fear. 

"I think it's time we go home." Tommy said looking up around him where it was already getting dark.

"I have a couple of papers to drop off at the landlord's office. I will see you back at the apartment?" 

"Yeah, sure!" Tommy held my hand and we walked to the apartment. 

"Tommy, I think we need to talk!"