50. Young Blood

The following dawn, I spent a little extra time individually with Becca and Rachel while Katherine slept in. Both were a little more demanding, and though I might have chalked Rachel's aggressiveness up to the internal conflict she had to manage daily, I was completely unprepared when Becca firmly moved my hand to her backside during a kiss that persisted much longer than it had to. The fact that I didn't object worried me too, though not until much later. It's hard to analyze your life choices while in the arms of a beautiful woman, especially when the only one who sees a problem with it is you.

To everyone's surprise, Katherine was awake by breakfast, and as she buttered a slice of toast we received another unexpected visitor. Amy appeared and sat on the counter without a word, her expression grim but much less troubled.

"How are you feeling?" Becca asked.

"Better today," Amy mumbled, grabbing a grape out of the fruit basket, "but to tell you the truth, the recovery wasn't as bad as I expected. Like a morning after drinking Callum's peppered gin."

"I'm intrigued," Rachel said, raising an eyebrow. "But what about the mind fuckery when you crashed? You didn't cry into your pillow half the day?"

"Not really. I felt down, displaced, but it wasn't crippling."

"Then you missed the worst part. Tom was nearby while you were coming down, maybe that helped."

Amy shrugged and helped herself to a blueberry from the bowl that had been set out for her. "Or maybe it's because I'm a different species. The trip down sucked balls for sure, but it was almost worth it. I'd be tempted to ask for another dose, but I think that's a road I'd best avoid."

"You think?"

"Any plans now that you're back on your feet?" I asked.

"I'll be tuning the security system after breakfast. The wards are a little too sensitive, so squirrels and birds keep tripping the alarm, but I can't just dial it down either. There are plenty of Fae that aren't much bigger." She indicated herself with a subtle gesture. "After that, Finn's got me on another project."

"She keeps you busy."

"Better than boredom. I'm motivated anyway, this one's for Meridian."

"Really?" Becca asked. "What are you working on?"

"Maybe nothing, but we'll find out in the next day or two. I'm not ready to spill the tea just yet." Amy yawned, then stood, plucked another berry, then stumped off with a vague wave. "See you all later."

It's hard to imagine someone lethargically bounding away like a hungover grasshopper, but Amy managed it, vanishing before I could ask further questions. I put the subject out of my mind. Any change that affected Meridian affected her, and I trusted her judgment if not Finn's.

Days passed with little change. Moods began to improve all around, and it became easier to sideline our larger problems as minor inconveniences rose up in the moment and took their place.

Most of the complaints centered around the luxuries we'd grown accustomed to in a short time, petty details like an interruption in the shower rotation after Katherine and I began sharing one in the mornings. She suggested we drop the formalities and allow everyone to come and go as they pleased. Rachel agreed. Becca and I dissented, though my ally's protests were weak and I feared losing her support to pressure from the others.

It left me in a strange position. I wasn't particularly shy, and I possessed all the inclinations common to my gender, yet I was the one drawing lines and defending them. I understood why, but balancing respect for their desires and their independence against my responsibilities as a man, a friend, and a lover, had become far more awkward since Katherine and I consummated our relationship. Once again, her predictions had been spot on.