9. A Hard Turn

The rest of that day passed quickly, though my classes didn't receive the focus they usually did, partly because I was tired, mostly because my mind kept wandering off topic and back to Katherine.

I spent the morning in a lecture that was released early because a few of the students spiced it up with a loud argument that nearly came to blows, then an hour ticked by in the dining hall before my next class. I'd been looking forward to the neurology case-based small group because I could sit alone and think and the teacher would just assume I was having an off day, but my grand plan for introspection was foiled when Fran Gable, Layla Pierce, and another girl whose name I didn't know crowded together behind me and whispered to each other the entire period.

I crossed my arms on the desk and leaned forward. Something solid bumped against my hand and I fished a smooth stone with a hole through it out from under my shirt. I had put it on while examining the other artifacts, and while I'd never quite forgotten it, I'd had other concerns that kept pushing it out of my mind. I tucked it back under my collar and did my best to pay attention for the rest of the hour.

The dancing lights continued to come and go, but I had begun to tune them out as a minor annoyance. If that was the only down side of being free of my disability, they were welcome to stay.

When my classes ended I spent time at the library in Tory Hall, looking up psychoactive drugs, but concern for my girlfriend continued to intrude, and after reading the same paragraph several times, I decided I'd waited long enough. With my backpack slung over one shoulder, I tapped Katherine's number into my phone as I left the building. She picked up on the fourth ring.

"Hello." Her voice sounded flat and hollow.

"Katherine, hi, it's me."

"I don't know anyone named me," she answered.

"It was funnier when I said it."

"It was never funny, Thomas," The usual repartee had none of its spark and that worried me.

"Hey, so... um, I just wanted to make sure you were okay," I said, trying to keep my voice light. "You scared me last night."

"That makes two of us. I'm sorry."

"Sorry? For what?"

"For ruining the evening. I was looking forward to... and..." she cut herself off and silence hung between us.

"You didn't do anything," I said, dismissing her concern. "I'm not sure what happened, but I'm more glad you're okay than upset that you had to leave."

After another few seconds, she answered, "I'm just so embarrassed, what you must think of me..." she didn't finish her thought but trailed off to a hush and left it there. This wasn't the Katherine I'd been dating for half a year.

"What I think is that I'm glad my girlfriend isn't in the hospital." I reached my car and unlocked the door. "Rachel says you blacked out."

"I remember more now. We were watching TV and holding hands and then I was on a bed, Rachel was there, and you were gone."

"I'm sorry," I said as I slid into the driver's seat. "I wanted to stay but Rachel kicked me out."

"I know, she told me. I remember drinking beer."

"You had a couple sips, that's all." She didn't reply, so I went on. "You're okay then? No lingering weirdness?"

"I suppose." Another moment of silence, then, "Thomas, can I ask you for something?" She changed the subject clumsily, which, again, wasn't the Katherine I knew.

"You know you can. If it's in my power it's yours, always."

"Can I see you?"

"Only if your eyes are open."