30. Into The Woods

Tires crunched over gravel as the van backed to a gradual stop. A minute later the doors opened, flooding the dim compartment with afternoon light.

"We're here," Finn announced, wearing an enigmatic grin.

I carefully backed Katherine's wheelchair down the ramp and onto an open field of grass hemmed in by trees with what appeared to be a large, military surplus tent set up in its center.

"This doesn't look too safe," Katherine said dubiously, wrinkling her nose at the tent. "At least the warehouse has walls."

"Don't condemn it too quickly," Finn said, "I busted my ass to get this set up for you. Well, my crew did. Here's one of them now." She nodded to the tree line where a woman ducked beneath a low branch and walked toward us, wearing a light, sun dress and hiking boots. My first thought as the pale, black-haired woman approached was that all Fae must be gorgeous. Then I remembered the satyr. Her actual appearance might have been anything.

"Meg, this is Tom and Katherine," Finn said. "The other two are coming with Cuthbert."

"Meg Malone," the girl inclined her head and extended a hand to Katherine. Her tone was polite, but distinctly neutral, as if the friendly gesture had been coerced, then she stood straight and faced me.

"I know what you are," she said, her voice still dry and casual. I answered with a tight lipped grin and bore her stare in uncomfortable silence while Finn smirked at my misery.

"Where's Julius?" the red haired Fae asked abruptly, with far too much cheer.

"He finished a while ago and left."

"Good. We don't want to scare this lot off just yet."

Meg looked us over appraisingly and snorted. "Jules is a pussycat. I'd be more worried about Cleigh."

"He's on lookout duty, they'll never see him."

"Yeah, but it's not like he's never eaten the wrong people."

I liked the idea of camping less and less the longer they spoke and was about to weigh in when the black sedan pulled onto the gravel drive behind us. Meg stalked off with a surly nod before Miss Gold exited the passenger door, leaving Becca and Rachel to extricate themselves from the back seat. She watched Meg retreat into the forest before approaching.

"You still employ the hag?"

"Hag?" Katherine glanced between them with an expression of disbelief, "You mean Meg?"

"What happened to keeping secrets?" Finn eyes narrowed dangerously upward and Miss Gold returned a dour look.

"My priority is Thomas' safety,"

"I've had to pull a shit ton of resources off other projects for this little adventure just to satisfy your requests. There isn't anyone better than Meg at setting up and tuning the wards, and you know it."

"She is a threat."

"So am I," Finn growled, and I believed her. "Meg wouldn't hurt a fly without good reason."

Miss Gold crossed her arms defiantly. "I should think not. A fly would fall far short of sating her appetites."

"Do you really want to do this here," Finn bristled, "in front of them?" Miss Gold stood, silent and stoic, until Finn threw up her hands in disgust and stomped off. My godmother said nothing more about it and I was more than glad to dismiss their exchange, so I focused on helping Katherine out of her chair while Becca and Rachel came up behind us.

"Rad," Rachel nodded her approval, taking in the clearing, tent, and fire pit. "Are we gonna roast weenies over the fire?"

"You just ate three bratwursts and a pint of potato salad," Katherine protested. "I'm convalescing here, I need a hotel. Three stars at least."