7. Falling

A few hours later the lobby intercom buzzed and I pried myself out of the couch and mashed the button with my thumb.

"Yeah?"

"It's me."

"I'm sorry, I don't know anyone named 'Me.'" I replied. It was Katherine, waiting to be let inside. Dopamine and adrenaline were already measuring themselves in higher doses. At least that part of my biochemistry hadn't changed.

"Your dad jokes aren't funny and If you make me climb the drainpipe again, I'm going to kill you. You promised me a movie and snacks."

"I never said anything about snacks."

"That's not how I remember it. Are you going to let me in, or should I start writing your obituary?"

I grinned and pressed the button to unlock the street door, then unlatched my apartment's deadbolt and returned to my seat, wrapping myself in the illusion of indifference to keep me from feeling or appearing anxious. I didn't think for a second that a little enthusiasm might chase her off, she wasn't that sort of person, but it would get in the way of the relaxed comfort we enjoyed in each other's company.

She let herself in without knocking then began to shrug off her light jacket, and my greeting froze in my mouth. Those sparks of light blurred and danced around the corners of my vision, giving the scene a strange, dreamlike quality, and she must have seen something in my expression because she froze too.

"What?" she asked, her arm half out of one sleeve.

I couldn't answer right away. She seemed to glow. Her eyes were sharp and bright, and her long, blonde hair shone as though it reflected sunlight rather than the dim incandescent bulb over the dining table. I could almost feel the soft, smooth texture of her skin from across the room and her curves—I had to pull hard against my thoughts to get them back under control.

"Earth to Thomas, what's wrong?" a hint of concern crept into her voice, "Do I have a mustard stain on my shirt?"

"You hate mustard," I said automatically.

"That's why it would be weird. What's up with you?" She let the jacket drop into her hands and hung it over the back of a chair before joining me in the living room.

"Nothing, I... I mean, you... you're beautiful."

"Yeah," she shrugged, "and?"

Her answer broke me free from whatever spell had robbed me of my senses, and I laughed. Even the sparks in my vision receded. "You just look really nice."

She stopped short of the sofa and glanced down at herself. "I look like I did yesterday. What changed?"

"Nothing, I guess I don't always appreciate you as much as I do right now."

Katherine made a face and dropped onto the cushion next to me. "That's a problem, Thomas. This might fall under the adoration amendment, which lets me dump you if I begin to question your mindless devotion to me."

"I'm locked in for six months," I reminded her. "I'm protected by section four, article two, of the no-dumping clause."

Her expression twisted in feigned annoyance. "I'll have my lawyers call your lawyers. About those snacks?"

"Are cookies okay?"

She looked surprised, "Cookies? Like animal crackers?"

"No, I went a little crazy and bought an assortment."

"Like for real? Chocolate chips and everything?"

"Uh, yeah, I'm trying to shake things up a little."

How much could I tell her about the past day and a half? I met this weird woman who gave me some magic tea, which I drank despite my better judgment and now I'm cured, so I thought I'd buy some cookies... Maybe I wasn't quite ready to share.