14. Goat Rodeo

My plan for the day was simple. While my girlfriend slept off her morning kiss, I would drive to the dorm and pick up her things, swing by the grocery store to stock up on food and a few convenience items, and then retrieve the trunk from the storage unit on the way home. The last good thing that happened that day was indulging in Katherine's embrace longer than was strictly necessary.

The Ford started on the second attempt, which put me on edge because as noisy as it had been it never required more than one. After pulling into the parking lot south of Katherine's dorm, it gave a mighty chug and trembled before settling down.

I walked to the far side of the building, hoping to avoid Rachel, but Katherine's friend Gloria stood near the front door chatting with the same tawny-haired girl who'd been with her when Rachel kicked me out of her room. I tried to pass them on the far side of the lot, but Gloria flagged me down and jogged over.

"Tom! Wait up!" I stopped and turned with what I hoped was a friendly smile. She returned it warmly.

"What's up, Glory?" I asked as casually as I could manage, hoping years of trying to pass myself off as normal had given me some aptitude for hiding my nerves.

"Have you seen Katherine? She was supposed to meet me yesterday afternoon to proof my thesis."

She should have come after all. I had no idea how to respond.

"Yeah,' I blurted out, "I mean I talked to her. She said she wasn't feeling well. Did you check her dorm?" I regretted the suggestion immediately. That's where I was heading.

"Not yet," Gloria shook her head, her mane of black curls bobbing side to side. "I was hoping she'd be in class. Are you here to check on her? I'll come up with you."

"No," I said too quickly, "I—I was just there. I told her I'd pick up her homework." A cluster of lights fluttered in front of Gloria's face like glitter in the wind.

"So, she's not there?" she asked, her eyes narrowing.

"Not—I mean she's going—" I had no idea how to bail myself out, and while I fumbled with my words, Gloria's friend joined us.

"Hey, everything ok?" she asked.

"Yeah, Ken, Tom says Kath's off campus. I think."

"Ken?" I asked stupidly, still looking for a way out of the corner I'd painted myself into.

"Kennedy Wiseman," she said with a toothy smile, thrusting her hand forward in greeting, then she cast a conspiratorial glance at Gloria and added, "Naked bingo, right?" Gloria giggled shamelessly.

"Uh, yeah," I answered, taking a step back. "Tom Corwen. And yeah, Kath is—she's staying with a relative in town. I just came from there, and I think she might be contagious." I congratulated myself that my improvised story came with multiple exits, "Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude."

"Oh, it's no problem, I get sick like that." She said, snapping her fingers. Her laugh was both forced and quiet, as if she wasn't sure where to draw the line between being too friendly and not friendly enough.

"Okay, Tom, thanks," Gloria sighed. "I guess we're on our own for now. Tell Kath I hope she feels better soon." Before I could stop her, she went up on her tiptoes and kissed my cheek.

A sharp stab of panic lanced through my chest as a whirl of bright light and hints of color overwhelmed me. Something twisted reflexively inside my head, followed by a surge, like water rushing through a hose. I jerked away rubbed at my cheek as though I could erase the feel of her lips on my skin. Gloria staggered back too, eyes wide.

"I'm sorry, Tom, I didn't mean—I don't—" Gloria looked appalled and her trembling fingers brushed her lips, "I'm so sorry!" she stumbled again and would have fallen if Kennedy hadn't caught her.