Chapter 12: Training

The lessons and training began to Adaline's dismay. She spent hours at the library trying to learn history and politics. The librarian was impressed by her knowledge on the former and forced the latter on her. She was not at all interested in it but pretended to be only to fool herself for some time. When asked how she knew her history, she felt a tinge of sadness, for it was the General who taught her everything. She remembered the times that she and Simon quizzed each other every night before heading to bed.

The only time she was able to be free was at the outer pavilion where she could work on her powers with other Summoners. It was hard to control her powers at first because she didn't know how to bring them about. She needed a trigger for it and realised that maybe the Darkling was right. Maybe her first instinct was to protect. She imagined someone getting hurt and that caused something to happen. Either the earth shook and caused problems for everyone, the wind took speed, the water in the lake rose up or a mystery fire started to burn.

It had been two weeks since she started living in the Little Palace and in that time, she wore a white dress every day, but on occasion, she would wear the Grisha colours. She had refused a kefta but that didn't stop her from mingling with everyone. She seemed to get along with them but preferred to talk to Freya and Irina.

The Fabrikators did not have much knowledge to part to her. But she still showed interest in their work. The Corporalki taught her how to stop and start someone's heart and taught her the anatomy of a human body. Those lessons made her fearful. 

The Etherealki seemed to find her intimidating. Irina, who was the only one that talked to her apart from Freya, told her the reason for it. "They think you are the Darkling's....girl."

"What!" Adaline almost spit out the water that she was drinking, but it ended up going down the wrong pipe. She started coughing to get it out and hitting the top of her head as tears threatened to leave her eyes.

"It is just rumours. I wouldn't worry about them."

On her first day, Adaline had the worst experience

On her first day, Adaline had the worst experience. She had to move between the classes in a very short time and found herself tired most of the time. She didn't want to pay attention to anyone but forced herself to.

Entering the lunch hall inside the palace, she did not know who to sit with. She may have been wearing the Grisha colours every other day but that didn't mean that she belonged with anyone. Her eyes searched for the set of granite ones but found the ebony chair that was designated for him to be empty. She scolded herself for trying to find him for help but what could she do? Everyone listened to him and she couldn't turn to anyone else.

She decided to move between the Orders and if anyone had any problem with her, she would deal with it then. One more problem that she faced was her age. She was older than most Grisha and felt strange being around them. The knowledge that they received through the years was being dumped on her in a matter of a few weeks.