Chapter 21: Know Your Place

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Adaline scolded herself for being so naive. She had to get out of Os Alta, and maybe even Ravka. She just had to. She had danced with the most dangerous person in all the lands, and she had never felt this terrified before. She used to have nightmares but nothing seemed to match the feeling she was feeling then.

They're looking at us. That's belonging.

And what was Stefan trying to prove by dancing with her?

And you haven't flinched. The castle seems fine. The chandeliers are in their own place and I am still breathing. Well, just barely since you look absolutely breath-taking!

The universe was playing a cruel game with her. She wondered how she could have the attention of the most beloved men in the country. She was nothing special. She could barely survive.

Adaline sat down on her bed and buried her face in her hands. The walls were closing in all of a sudden and her dress was weighing her down. She quickly changed into her nightgown and paced the room. She had to make another plan soon.

She could deceive the guards once she figured out their new timings, but she had to deceive Stefan. She could not get caught once again because that would mean facing the Starless Saint. She had been unbelievably lucky the last time.

There was a knock that caught her attention. Her head turned to the door as instincts took over, but the noise was coming from her window. She frowned as her legs carried her to the window. The knocking only grew louder and she could not make out the shape of the person outside. Knowing that he won't stop, Adaline opened the door.

"You!" She shouted.

"You left before I could talk." It was none other than the Prince of Ravka, sitting on the sill outside as he waited for her to move and give him way. "Aren't you going to give me way?"

"What are you doing here? You cannot climb the walls and knock at my window!"

"I knew that you wouldn't let me in any other way." He swung his legs to the other side and jumped inside the room. He looked around and nodded. "You haven't decorated at all. I was not expecting that."

"What do you want?" She closed the window in a hurry after making sure that nobody saw him. The grounds were empty and there were no lights in the distance.

"You were thinking about me, weren't you?" He flashed a flirty smile that made her roll her eyes. "You were!" He broke out laughing.

"Don't enjoy this. I was thinking of how to kill you in your sleep without drawing suspicion."

"Ouch." He held his chest and swung himself over the bed. He put his left leg over his right one and lay down comfortably. He patted the other side for her to sit. "Come on, I'm here to talk to you."

"Nice way of showing it. You could have knocked on my door, but no! You want to climb to the window like a bloody thief!"

"A handsome thief."

"Look in the mirror."

"I do. Every morning."

She shook her head. "What do you want?"

"I wanted to ask you a question."

"And it couldn't wait till the morning?"

He frowned at her reaction. He took a pillow and hugged it, making space for her to sit. "Why don't you like it when someone touches you?"

"Ah." Adaline walked over to her bed and sat on the edge. Stefan sat up straight and made more space for her, but she sat where she had. "I can't stand anyone trying to touch me. Even a courteous touch of the hands. It's a little hard to explain because," She sighed. "Nobody really understands it. But thank you."