Chapter 20: Stuck

"What are you doing?"

"Dancing." Stefan said with a smug smile on his face.

He was close to her, but her powers did not act out. "Your hand is on my waist." She hissed under her breath. She was quite aware of it. It was all that she could think about. They had never stood that close before.

Stefan's grip on her hand increased. "And you haven't flinched. The castle seems fine. The chandeliers are in their own place and I am still breathing." He pointed out. "Well, just barely since you look absolutely breath-taking!"

Adaline couldn't reply. She wanted to snap at him, but Baghra had warned her not to use her powers. She had been in control for a long time. She couldn't lose her cool then. "Why did you drag me into this?"

Though she hated his guts, she realised that she couldn't become angry at him. She was drowning in his deep blue eyes and his aura was familiar and comfortable. Somehow, Stefan felt exactly the same way.

"You have really beautiful doe eyes."

"What?"

She wanted to stamp on his foot but after the punch that she threw, she wasn't sure that he could handle one more fight from her end. Her eyes started to scan the room. Everyone seemed to be minding their business but the Princess' look was clear. She was not approving their meeting.

"You have great eyes." He complimented her once again.

"I don't have doe eyes." She said as he spun her around.

"Well, I should be the one to say that and I disagree with you."

Her eyes fell upon the Darkling, who had almost fallen into the shadows

Her eyes fell upon the Darkling, who had almost fallen into the shadows. He was looking at them. He was looking at her, and that scared her more than anything. "Are you trying to torture me into another escape?" She asked, agitated at whatever his strategy was. "If you are, then you are doing a great job at it."

"Ouch." He made a face of dramatic gasp. "I'm hurt that you would think that. And besides, I would help you escape." He laughed at her annoyed look and then composed himself.

"Couldn't you find any other swoon-over to dance with?"

Stefan laughed. "Swoon-over? Is that how you want to call people that want my attention?"

"I certainly don't want your attention." She said. "Why are you doing this?"

She hated the situation that she was in. She had to deal with two different kinds of power. There was the Darkling on one hand, who was an amplifier himself and the leader of the Second Army. On the other was Stefan Lantsov, the Prince of Ravka. The people worshipped him. What had Adaline done to be stuck between these decisions?

"I'm putting forward a hand of friendship."

"No, you dragged me into the dance floor." She corrected his statement. She could hear the whispers around the room. Why was Stefan doing this to her?

He nodded in agreement. "That too."

She was looking at his ocean blue eyes and felt the pulling sensation of fainting again

She was looking at his ocean blue eyes and felt the pulling sensation of fainting again. But he had a good grip on her waist and her hand on his shoulder reminded her that she wasn't alone. She didn't need to be.

The music stopped playing after a really long time. "Whatever. Your Majesty." She smiled sarcastically and stormed right out of the dance floor.

Adaline rushed through the crowd that was forming to find the tousled head that she was looking for. "Maxwell." She breathed out in relief as she held the pillar near her for support.

"Adaline. Are you okay?"

"I don't know." She closed her eyes to prevent the dark spots from clouding her vision. "Too many people. Too much of....contact." She took deep breaths while Maxwell's presence nearby helped her calm down. "Where is Irina?"

"She's gone to get us drinks." Maxwell had a smile on his face and that was clear in his voice. "Thank you, Adaline."

Adaline stood straight and took a deep breath. "You're welcome, Maxwell." She bowed her head down, making him laugh through the seriousness.

Maxwell and Irina went for a walk and Adaline couldn't help but cheer up on the inside. She had finally made them work towards each other. Carolyn nodded approvingly at them and then at her for making it happen. She toasted her from across the room. But her face became serious and when Adaline followed her gaze, her breathing stopped.

The Darkling was walking towards Adaline with two glasses in his hand. His eyes were cold and hungry. Something had definitely upset him. "Why were you with the Little Prince earlier?"

He handed her one of the goblets. She took it without arguing because she feared his anger. Whatever said and done, he was terrifying. The idea of being thought of being with him scared her. Everyone else's rumours and fantasies were not helping.

She was not the Darkling's romantic interest, and she was definitely not the Prince's muse.

Her eyebrows furrowed. Why did it matter to him? "He's not my friend. He pulled me into the dance floor." She said. "Thank you for the drink." But she was not going to drink it. She knew the Darkling and she was definitely ignoring the rumours about his romantic life. Whatever the case was, she wasn't going to entertain it.

Everyone in the room had him in their mind. Nobody could believe that the newcomer had the Darkling's attention. It seemed that everyone was power hungry. Everyone wanted at least a bit of his attention because he was important.

He seemed to consider her answer. "You should keep better friends." Adaline had a feeling that he wasn't only talking about the Prince of Ravka. She saw Maxwell and Irina laughing outside in the courtyard.

"You can't tell me who I choose to be friends with." She said, standing straighter to meet his eyes. "Every Grisha here may be afraid of you and obey your order, but I don't work for you or the crown."

His lips twisted into a smile. "I hope you enjoyed yourself tonight."

Adaline blinked. "Thank you." That was her mechanical answer. "You should try to listen to me sometime. Not everything is about you."

He cocked his head to the side and gave her the sarcastic smile that made her want to scratch his eyes out. "Isn't it?"

She groaned internally and resisted the temptation to roll her eyes. "I'm tired. I'll be heading to bed now." She handed him the goblet and walked past him towards the staircase. She needed to get out of there soon.

The Darkling watched her climb the staircase. He had a smile on his face and everyone was trying not to notice that. Whatever said and done, Adaline was special. And he wasn't going to let her go easily.