Chapter 19: The Dance

The Grisha present in the dining hall were surprised when they found the ebony chair at the head of the long table of the Etherealki to be taken by their leader. He didn't usually eat with them because he was busy with other work, but to see him sitting there with his fingers joined together made everyone feel calm. They mattered to him.

The Darkling was feeling restless. He had told Adaline to wear black because she was like him - different, unfit to the normal society and moreover....calls to like. She was the answer that he had been looking for. There was something about her that drew him in. He knew that he had that effect on other people, but that was only because he was an amplifier himself.

What was so special about Adaline Chernoff?

His eyes kept peeking at the staircase at the end of the corridor. He was hoping to see someone that wasn't him wearing black and that somehow frightened him. The Black Heretic was scared.

But when the young woman walked into the room for breakfast, his eyes gave him away. She was wearing white. An emotion that he had never felt before surged through his veins. What was happening to him?

Adaline's eyes locked into his and there was a moment of silence that surrounded them. She knew that he had been expecting her to wear black but she couldn't. She wasn't one of them and she wasn't who he thought she was.

The ball arrived to everyone but Adaline's pleasure. The Grand Palace was decorated effectively and majestically. The furniture were moved around and rearranged, the chandeliers were cleaned twice, the floors were polished twice and the entire castle was decorated with lights. It was supposed to be the biggest event of the decade.

The Darkling felt like groaning because of what he was supposed to do - socialise. He did not like meeting anyone that was just a puppet in the society that he lived in. Every human being in the room was wearing a mask of facade. They were scared of Grisha and their powers. Good, the Darkling thought.

The Grisha could turn back on the royalty any time that they wanted but they were loyal. And that was their biggest mistake. One more evening, one more opportunity. He went around the room and met the people that he usually talked with.

Another reason that he hated parties was because he was older than everyone. He had been through countless number of balls and dances for his vision to come true. But now that he had his answer right in front of him, he was looking forward to it,

For a while, it seemed like time slowed down but it really did happen when he saw her. She walked into the room wearing a full-sleeved white gown with golden embroidery on it. His breath left him when he saw the curls that her hair was in. Maybe his aversion towards white didn't make sense anymore, because Adaline looked like the ray of sunshine that he needed in his life.

Adaline walked in with Carolyn and all the attention was on her. The crowd parted and her eyes met the Darkling's. Both of them were the contrasts and highlights of the evening. He started walking towards her in a manner that scared her but she kept her gaze straight.

He put his hand forward and she eyed him curiously. "For a dance." He said.

Everyone was looking at them with their mouth open. Adaline was scared to look around but felt the razor sharp looks on her. She put her shaking hand in his and the Grisha surrounding them parted the dance floor for them.

"What are you doing? Everyone is looking at you." She hissed under her breath and they faced each other for the music to start playing.

"Oh, believe me." He said with a smile on his face. "They're all looking at you." He gestured as if to ask if he could put his hand on her waist and when she nodded, the castle was still just like it had been. "They're looking at us." He finished when the music started playing.