Chapter 33: Necessities

"Where is she?"

Baghra looked up at the dangerous man who had barged into her house. She continued to sew designs on the sweater that she had knitted in her free time. "She slipped out."

There was rage in the Darkling's eyes that she had seen very few times. This was an interaction that he had been avoiding. It was a confrontation that he had assumed would be necessary one day.

"What do you mean she slipped out? This is the most guarded place in the entire Ravka. How could anyone slip out?"

Baghra smirked. "You have let her in." He looked dumbfound. "I never thought that this day would come. The great Aleksander-"

"That's not my name!"

She nodded. "But that's the name that I gave you." She said. "She doesn't care for you."

The Darkling scoffed. "And you do? Don't pretend, woman. You haven't been anything to me in my life."

"And it has been a long one, hasn't it? The only reason you've kept me here is because you cannot kill me, boy. No matter what you say, that is the truth. You will always be my son."

He did not want to hear whatever she was saying. He kept telling himself that this was necessary. He needed to know where Adaline was. "Where is she?" He could not lose her then. He just couldn't.

"I've told you that she has slipped out."

"And may I ask why you didn't stop her?"

"She does not belong here, Aleksander." The Darkling winced but allowed himself not to show it out. He hadn't heard anyone speak his name in so long. It seemed alien. "She does not belong with you. I saw what happened the other day. You have become weak. You let her in and you've forgotten what your purpose is."

"Do not feed lies into me. It's clear that you cannot give me answers."

The guard that had told the Darkling about Adaline's absence was quivering in her boots. He was new to the unit and lost the bet about who would enter the Darkling's War Room to talk about the current situation.

He stood outside the old lady's hut and saw the leader of the Second Army march out. "Find her."

In the woods, Adaline and Ramina were catching up about their lives. They kept a lot of information to themselves because they didn't know the other. But the trail seemed to go on forever, which only gave more opportunity for them to talk.

"Where are you heading for?" Adaline asked.

"I am searching for The Hand." Ramina revealed.

"The Hand? Isn't that supposed to be a myth?"

The Hand was a mythical waterfall that was supposed to be the heart of Ravka. It was believed that the Morana of Life lived there and if a person was really in need of help, they would guide the traveller in the right path. But it was all a mythology unless you were a True Believer.

"Oh it's quite real. I'm heading there right now." She said. "There has been talk about something happening at the edge of the Deep Woods. Apparently there are Peace Roses sparking up in nearby towns, and they do represent life. My parents are True Believers and I was brought up as one. This is my quest to show everyone that it is more than just a fairytale."

Adaline thought about that possibility

Adaline thought about that possibility. Maybe she could request the waterfall for a way out without any trouble. She could pray for her decisions to not affect anyone. The waterfall was supposed to be the most powerful place.

Adaline knew a lot about that particular myth because she had always been interested in stories. Her favourite book talked about the many achievements of the Morana. If she could prove to herself that it was more than a story, she would be proving herself to everyone.

"Can I come?"

Ramina smirked. "I thought you were going to your friend. You are supposed to be on a secret mission. You're leaving Ravka, aren't you?"

Adaline laughed. "I have time." She smiled at her sarcastic comment. "I'm sure that Simon would-"

"Addy?" They heard a voice at the end of the trail. It was faint, but tough not to hear.

"Simon." Adaline whispered, the tears quick to form in her eyes.

The blonde came into the view from the thicket and dropped his bag when he saw his childhood friend. "Oh, Addy." A huge smile spread across his face. Adaline ran towards him. He caught her and spun her around. "Oh, I've missed you so much!"

"It feels like ages." He let her go and her feet hit the ground. "I thought I was a few days early but....oh!" She hugged him once again.

"How are you? Why are you trying to escape? Did the Darkling hurt you or something? Have I not been able to protect you-"

"So this must be Simon." Ramina said, interrupting their reunion for the best. "You were right, Adaline. He is a worrisome lad."

Simon hadn't noticed the gorgeous woman until she spoke

Simon hadn't noticed the gorgeous woman until she spoke. His ears seemed to heat up the moment he laid eyes on her. "Oh, I...." His mouth was open and his voice trailed out. Adaline looked at him and loved seeing him that way. She was glad that he seemed to be speechless when he saw Ramina. "I'm so glad my letter reached you in time."

"I am as well."

"But Addy, are you running away from the most powerful people in Ravka?" He voiced his concern. "They can do anything. They'll be able to find you."

Adaline groaned. "You all make me sound so important. I'm just a doctor, for Saints' sake."

Ramina stiffened. The two friends looked at her but didn't stare. "I think you should tell him about the diversion." She suggested.

"What diversion?" Simon asked.

"We are going to search for The Hand." Adaline stated.

He was going to laugh but saw the serious look on her face. "Wait. You aren't laughing. That means that you're not joking." His eyes widened. "But Addy, the Hand is a myth. It's a children's tale."

"We wouldn't be searching for it if we didn't know for sure that there is a waterfall like that." Ramina said. "Or I hope that it is a 'we'. I wouldn't mind the company."

Adaline used her puppy dog-eye trick at Simon. "Please?" She asked. "I know that we don't have time but this is important. We've always talked about searching for the unknown, haven't we?"

"But that was when we were children, Addy. I-"

"What is it to be an adult if you're not a child on the inside?" Ramina spoke.

Simon sighed. He had been defeated. "Alright. Fine." Adaline hugged him. "But after that, I am getting you to safety."

Adaline looked at Ramina. "I'm game if you are."

Adaline nodded. "Fine. I agree to your terms."