Chapter 43: Some Answers

Adaline couldn't sleep. She kept having flashbacks to her memories and she couldn't bear to see the Darkling in every single one of them. She woke up with a shock as she felt the pain in her chest again.

She walked the perimeter of the Hand and considered running away. Her mind was still fixed on Ketterdam. She could even go to Fjerda or Novyi Zem. Anywhere but Ravka. But seeing her memories, she had to make the decision.

"I must kill the Darkling." She made her way to where Ramina and Simon sat, their arms almost touching each other. "Is Carolyn a part of this?"

Simon's eyes joined together. "Who is Carolyn?"

"She is a Heartrender that lives at the Little Palace." Ramina said. "She is a True Believer."

"That's why she let me go." Adaline mumbled to herself. "When I was escaping, she caught me. I thought she would take me to the Darkling but....how did she know about me?"

"I told her to keep an eye on you." Adaline's head jerked up to meet Ramina's eyes. "When you escaped, she knew you were who we were waiting for. We've been waiting a long time for you to become who you are."

I've been waiting a long time for you.

Adaline zoned out his voice. She was not going to let him get to her. "What about my powers? How do they work?"

Ramina had been expecting that question. "Every time you live, your powers increase. Their intensity increases so that you have a chance against the Darkling."

"Good thing that has done since I've died so many times."

Ramina's eyes fell. "You told me the last time that this would be your last reason."

Adaline frowned. "What does that mean?"

"It means that....you won't have the same powers you do now in your next life."

"So I was completely sure that I was going to die this time as well? How stupid did I think myself to be? I am ready to kill the Darkling. But I have only one worry."

"What if the Shadow Fold doesn't get destroyed?" Ramina finished her sentence for her.

Adaline's mouth fell open. "There are a lot of insects here, Addy." Simon teased.

"How did you...." Adaline asked.

"That is your concern. That's why we are doing this." Ramina said. "Your main aim is to undo the abomination that he created. It isn't only about killing the Darkling. We need to destroy the Fold and restore Ravka's peace. That's why you are betraying the Order of your own creation to come back every time."

That made sense. She had been meddling with the Laws of Life by coming back every time. "And have I ever found a way to destroy it?" Ramina's silence said it all. "If I had this goal, I shouldn't have erased my memories!"

 "If I had this goal, I shouldn't have erased my memories!"