XI

I walked around the venue a little before finding Jamie talking to an unfamiliar masculine figure.

"Oh, Monica!" he exclaimed and held his arms out to his side for me to give him a hug. I laughed and hugged him, letting him rock me from side to side.

"Miles," he pulled away and looked at the man standing in front of him. "This is Monica, our new friend."

I took a look at the man standing in front of me. His hair was cut very short and he looked pretty stylish. He was wearing a silky red-ish button-up shirt with a beige matching suit on top, along with his dancing shoes that had been recently shined.

"Pleased to finally meet ye, Monica," he gave me his hand and I shook it.

"Nice to meet you too, Miles," I smiled at him from ear to ear.

"So what do yer do for a living?" he asked me, putting one hand in his pocket.

"Oh," I laughed nervously. He was probably one of the Monkeys' rich friends, so me telling him where I work would make me look ridiculous to be hanging out with them.

"I work at a record store in the mornings and then at a bar during the nights," I smiled awkwardly, fearing of his response.

"Oh!" He warmed me up with a smile. "That must be great! You meet new people every day!"

I laughed, "For some people, yeah," I took a sip of my drink. "But for me, that's the worst part. I have always been an introvert my whole life," I admitted.

"Ah, I see," he nodded understandingly. "Al was like that at the start of 'is career too," he nodded.

"You know Alex?" I questioned and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Yes!" he laughed at my obliviousness. "We 'ave also released an album together!" 

"Oh my..." I hid my face with my free hand. "That's embarassing," I laughed and looked at him again. "I live under a rock."

"No, it's okay, darlin', don't worry," he gave me a toothy smile and waved his hand in front of his face understandingly.

We spent a lot of time talking with Miles. He was really nice and we even exchanged numbers — although I knew I'd see him around again since he spent a lot of time with the guys.

-

I was waiting with Miles and Elle for the guys to perform. I felt nervous, for some reason, but also excited to hear what they had to play.

The guys stepped on the small stage set in the back of the venue, where everyone had re-located to hear them play.

Alex stepped forward and tapped on the microphone, testing it out. "1, 2? Alreyt," he stepped back and grabbed his electric guitar as Nick and Jamie grabbed their instruments and Matt took his seat on the drums.

"'Ello, everyone," he spoke into the microphone with his deep voice and looked at me. "It's a pleasure to be 'ere. Thank you for the invite," he smiled at me and looked at the crowd who was applauding them. 

They played a few songs off their most recent album, 'Suck It And See', as Elle told me. I wasn't able to catch any titles except for 'That's Where You're Wrong' and 'Piledriver Waltz'.

I was watching in awe as Alex was trying to concentrate on his singing. The lyrics, the music, the Monkeys, it was all perfect and warmed my heart up. I could spend hours watching them perform, or even play songs. He looked at me with a smile.

"When she walks, her footsteps sing
A reckless serenade"

-