XXIII

The next day I spent it with Elle, Katie and Breana, shopping all around LA. We had gone to every shop possible and had spent a lot of money, but at least we had new clothes, right?

"God, my legs are killing me!" Breana groaned as we were sat on the hotel's roof. 

It was a restaurant working during the night. There were around twenty tables all around the roof with four chairs around each. Small candles were glowing the darkness of the night on each table and smelled like orange.

"Me too," Katie rolled her eyes before downing a bottle of water. 

"How much did we even walk?" I asked desperately before sipping some of my Coke.

"All around Beverly Hills," Elle huffed a tired laugh.

"At least we have nice clothes to wear now," Katie laughed and made us all chuckle. 

The waiter came back with our pastas and we thanked him as we collected enough energy to eat.

"And the weather was so hot for a February morning!" Elle complained.

"I know right!" I agreed.

"That's how LA is, ladies. Hot and sweaty all year long," Breana chuckled.

"Well, it certainly isn't like my hometown," I huffed a laugh before taking a bite of my Carbonara.

"Which is?" Katie wondered. Her sides of her mouth curling up as she took a bite of her pasta.

"Paris," I half-smiled and watched Breana's and Katie's expression change, accompined with a gasp.

A following of 'Shut up's and 'Oh my God's came out of their mouths as Elle and I started laughing.

"I've always wanted to visit Paris!" Katie exclaimed.

"I visited once and fell in love. I can't imagine how excited I'd be to live there," Breana spoke full of excitement.

"I haven't visited in such a long time, though," I chuckled nervously, hoping they wouldn't ask further questions.

"Why? Don't your parents live there?" Katie furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

I let out a chuckle, "Well, you see," I smiled. "We kind of got in a fight when I graduated school about where I should study. They wanted me to stay, I wanted New York, so one day I just told them I'm leaving and I left. Haven't really heard of them since, to be honest," I started playing with my food and looked down.

"Oh, love, I'm so sorry!" Breana and Katie said at the same time, reaching out for my hand.

"No, it's okay, don't worry!" I laughed, feeling bad for ruining the mood.  

"Really, it doen't matter anymore. We call each other on our birthdays and holidays and stuff," I dismissed with a wave of my hand as the girls pulled their hands back

"Where are the guys anyway?" Elle sensed my uncomfortableness and changed the subject.

"Shooting a music video or something," Katie shrugged, going back to her food.

"At 11 o'clock on a Tuesday night?" I laughed.

"Yeah, they just took Matt's camera and rented a black Cadillac and said they were shooting a music video," Breana shrugged as we couldn't stop laughing.

We spent the rest of the night up there, drinking and laughing. I was having a lot of fun and didn't want the night to end. I was getting better, mentally-wise, and I hoped it lasted more than other times.

-

"Elle?" I asked her quietly as we were sitting on the king sized bed, watching the rain fall on the window.

Although the rest of the day had been hot and sunny, around 1am, it started raining heavily and Elle and I, as the hopeless romantics we are, sat to watch the rain in our dark room.

"Hm?" Elle's face turned to her left, searching for my gaze. 

"Do you think my parents will want to see me again?" I didn't take my eyes off the window. The dark room fell silent for a second.

Our conversation with the girls earlier kept roaming around my head. Flashbacks of the night I was thinking about the previous day also came and joined me in my thoughts, not letting me relax.

"Of course they would, Mon. You're their child!" I felt her warm hand on my shoulder and I pressed my lips together, forming a line so the tears wouldn't fall off my eyes.

"I'm not sure if I'd be able to face them, though. I hurt them, Elle," A tear rolled down my cheek. I was so happy we didn't have any lights on, considering I never cried in front of people.

She sighed deeply and pulled me into her embrace. "C'mere," she whispered as I fell into her petite arms. My head was resting on her chest as the tears rolled down my cheeks. 

Lana Del Rey's 'Born To Die' was playing from Elle's phone as we stayed hugging for a couple of minutes. The album had just been released some days before and Elle and I were loving it, blasting it all day long.

"Anyways," I sniffled and pulled away, sitting up where I was previously sitting and cleared my throat with a laugh. "Tell me how it's going with you," I smiled, even though she couldn't see it.

"You always do that," Elle huffed a laugh. 

She was right. I always avoided conversations about my feelings.

"You and Nick seemed pretty close some days ago, how is that going?" I nudged her side and she chuckled.

"Well, we tried going on a date or two while we were still in New York and thought we could make it, but we realised on the plane that there was nothing romantic between us, so we left it," Elle shrugged unbothered. "We're still friends, he's great," I could hear her smile.

The conversation flew smoothly after that and we spent hours talking with music in the background as we watched LA's sky cry. We even had a couple of drinks, laughing, as we recalled moments from the past years.

Eventually, the time went around 3am and we decided to go to sleep, turning off the music and getting underneath the covers.

My phone started buzzing on my nightstand, but I didn't bother picking it up. 

It'd stop anyway. 

But it didn't. 

It kept on ringing and buzzing so much that I eventually groaned and sat up on my bed. I grabbed the phone and walked outside to the balcony so I didn't wake Elle up and looked at the screen. 

'Mum' it read.