Chapter 2

***

Chapter 2

***

Scanning the crowd for a plan, I notice a dirty blonde-haired man in a white button down a few feet away. No wedding ring, no partner. I square up my shoulders and walk up to him.

"Hey there, I'll give you twenty dollars if you take that redhead over there to dance."

He glances in my pointed direction and frowns. "How about I take you?"

I smile, because I haven't been hit on for so long. "How about I give you my number, and in return you smile and wave at her?"

He pulls out his phone. "Deal."

Men. So easy.

I type my old number, hand the phone back to him, and walk away. I didn't lie. By the time I reach the incompatible couple, I have no idea what I'm doing, because I'm too busy thinking about a thousand other things.

"Sorry to interrupt." I sound like I'm about to sell them car insurance.

Both turn to my direction, but for a second, I freeze in his gaze. His eyes are a cutting, rich shade of hazel, draped with abundant, inky lashes.

Imagine those eyes looking up at you when his face is in between your--

"Do you know herrrr?"

The redhead's voice wakes me up like a bucket of water and I'm thankful that she's here. But only a little.

He evaluates me with a curious expression. "I don't think so?"

I turn my attention to her and change my demeanor. "Babe, I've been watching you talk to this aloof potato for the last ten minutes, and I just had to come over and ask. Do you have any idea how gorgeous you are? Why are you wasting your time on someone who can't see that?"

"Excuse meeee, thank youuu, but how is that your business?"

I look behind my shoulder to see Estelle. She waves a cigarette at me, grinning.

Losing this bet is NOT an option.

I turn back to the woman again. "It's none of my business, I know. This is so weird. But let me show you what I mean. Do you see that man over there?"

I point at the one I gave my old number to, who thankfully does as he promised. "That's the type of enthusiasm you deserve! The only man that can't see you as a queen is one that doesn't see himself as a king. Do you not want a king?"

"I'm standing right here, you know that right?" His husky voice murmurs behind me, but I can't lose focus right now, I've got her attention and I'm going in for the kill.

"If a man can't appreciate you with your clothes on, he won't appreciate you without them either. You know what you're going to get? A night with a dead fish who makes you do all the work but takes all the credit."

Her mouth drops open and her eyes widen. "Ugh, you're riiight. It's like so hard to find men nowadaaays, so I end up settliiing."

There's a chuckle behind me, then the woman thanks me and leaves. Did I just win? I look at Estelle who silently applauds. Then I'm brought back to earth when a certain deep voice clears his throat. I turn to face him.

"Ok, I'm sorry if that's how you actually flirt. But we, the public, needed mercy and I was chosen as their savior," I say.

His eyebrows shoot up for a moment before he laughs, and I nearly pass out because the motherfucker has dimples. "I was just trying to keep her company, my best friend is talking to her friend right now, and I didn't want to be disrespectful."