Chapter 7

Chapter 7

My boss has been standing before me for the last ten minutes, wearing a bewildered expression and potential regrets over my employment.

To be fair, I am sitting on the floor of my office, doing important professor things on a disembodied tabletop balanced on textbooks. Desk assembly last Wednesday was a failure, but no one has to know that.

He adjusts his glasses. "I know you have so much on your plate already, but you're invited to speak at the 'The Mental Health Association' seminar next year."

My eyes nearly pop out. "Me?"

This seminar is a large networking event among highly ranked psychologists, researchers, and academics. Basically, an aspiring dream for associate professors like me.

He nods. "Well, the theme is 'reaching the young generation'. Your video stats show that you reach them in millions. Plus, you've been highly recommended by Dr. Cohen."

Kayden, I freaking love you! And I love the student who posted my video! Fuck yeah!

"I can't wait to be a part of it." I smile politely.

~

When office hours finish, I'm on the phone yet again with the furniture company.

"No Naveen, you guys sent a defective model. I spent two hours yesterday trying to put it together. And this is coming from someone who assembled her own queen bed!" While high, but I leave that part out.

"What have you done?" A familiar voice startles me.

I look up to see a very amused Jake leaning on my door. Naveen's voice on the other line turns into a blur.

"I'll call you back." I hang up and face my computer with nonchalance. "What are you talking about?"

"Why are the legs of your new table in the corner?"

My eyes travel under the window where I have shoved the gold metal pieces, now peeking behind the curtains.

"Those are abstract art pieces. Yeah, I'm still thinking about where to hang them."

"Uh-huh. And the tabletop?"

"It's called a chabudai table, Jake." I roll my eyes, keeping a straight face. "I find the Japanese culture very inspiring."

"Yeah, okay. Stand up."  He holds his hand out to help me up.

"Why?" I frown.

"Come on, stand up."

I ignore his hand and push off my palms. The cracking of joints and a stifled groan fill the awkward silence. My numb legs start to come to life, with that dreadful prickly feeling all over.

"Wow, you look so inspired." Jake raises his eyebrows at my demeanor.

"You're just jealous, cause I have a million wonderful ideas flowing in my head right now." I choke out the words, waving my hand above my head.

"You're hunched over like an old woman. I want to go get you a cane."

I burst into laughter. Damn it.

"Maybe a wheelchair?" I smile sheepishly.

He closes the door and grabs the metal pieces before sitting on the floor across from me.

The way his legs bend with knees apart, forearms on top and eyebrows knitted in concentration, makes me want to—

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.