Chapter 5

Chapter 5

***

There's an obsessive amount of care in how every inch of me is presented.

Today's outfit is a lacy, black camisole under a tight, black cardigan that falls mid/thigh, finished with faux leather leggings.

The nontraditional look will probably raise some faculty eyebrows, but that just makes me want to wear it even more.

Jake is chilling in the front row, surrounded by overachieving, sleep-deprived students. hair soft and disobedient, jaw dusted with stubble, lips smooth. Hazel fires below silken lashes, taunting with reminders.

That's not a way to think about a student, you sick, unprofessional moron.

When the murmuring chatter respectfully dims, I rise up from my desk and stride to the lectern, heels clicking. The small, black switch in my hand turns the old projector on and displays today's PowerPoint slides.

I define attachment disorders and how I'm going to explain using popular movies and TV shows. The first example flashing from the projector is 'The Notebook,' with Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams.

Pivotal scenes from the movie are displayed, like when Noah first sees Allie, when he hangs from the Ferris Wheel car, when they argue about what she wants. I briefly summarize the plot as a refresher, then continue.

"Noah's circumstances aren't ideal; he's a poor, uneducated worker who falls in love with a rich, uninterested girl. Still, what does he do?"

The lecture hall is silent for a couple of seconds. I look around patiently, waiting, expecting someone to eventually break the discomfort.

"He pursues her." Jake's voice pounds in the room and my breath falters. It's as if I instinctively submit to its rugged, unflinching self-confidence.

I hate how he's in a black leather jacket, black V neck shirt, black fitted jeans, and black combat boots. Copycat.

I focus on keeping my voice even. "Yes." I say before tearing my eyes away from him. "This is a classic example of a secure attachment style. A child raised by responsive parents who are sensitive to his needs is more likely to grow up with positive beliefs about himself and his partner. That's why despite Allie's rejections, Noah's fearless about expressing how he feels."

A girl in a green hoodie from the back seats raises her hand. I scan her facial features across the distance and search for an important tune.

P...p...perfect brows...perfect brows make Penelope happy.

I know...some people might think it's lame, but it works.

"Yes, Penelope?"

She beams that I remember her name, and that makes me happy in return. "What's Allie's attachment style?" she asks.

I smile appreciatively at her engagement. "I'd like to ask you that once we go over the rest of them."

I dive into a couple more studies about its basic characteristics, relationship satisfaction reports, and the effects from being with insecurely attached partners. Then, I move on to play a personally compiled video from Friends.

Several scenes of Monica being put down by her mother play on the screen, including scenes where Ross, Rachel, and others are publicly praised while she's shamed for her relationship status, weight, cooking, hair, clothes, etc.

"Monica Geller is an example of someone with anxious attachment. Her mother incessantly condescends and deprives her of safe acceptance. She grows up in the shadow of her older brother - the golden child. Later she repeats this pattern by befriending the popular girl in school and living as a side character."